PhD student bioinformatics method development - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Posted on : 12 June 2017
- The research group DBN (dataintegration & biological networks) has an open PhD position in the domain of method development for precision oncology.
- The goal of the PhD research is to develop and apply systems genetics approaches to identify driver pathways and prognostic biomarkers underlying clinical phenotypes relevant to cancer.
- Hereto innovative methods need to be developed that integrate genomic information derived from cohorts of tumor samples with clinical information (e.g., therapy outcome). The focus will be on studying the importance of network rewiring during cancer development and on assessing the added value of whole genome sequencing for optimal patient stratification.
- The research will be performed in close collaboration with clinicians, experts in molecular diagnosis and software engineers to facilitate the transfer of the developed methods to a clinical setting. The DBN group has expertise in method development for systems biology and systems genetics and is specialized in combining advanced data mining techniques with biological principles.
- a strong interest in interdisciplinary research
- a strong interest in fundamental and/or applied research Minimal background in biology or molecular biology
- strong background in computer hard- and software systems
- proficiency in programming languages such as Java, Perl or Python, as well as Linux systems
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a strong requirement.