Oncology Specialty Representative – (Fort Worth/West, TX) Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc., known as Merck in the US and Canada and MSD across the rest of the world, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Oncology Specialty Representative (OSR) is a key member of the customer facing organization and plays a critical role in supporting Merck's customer centric business model. He/she is responsible for working with the Customer Team to understand and identify customer needs, support pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy, and ensure that Merck is viewed as demonstrating value and better health outcomes to healthcare professionals and their patients. In addition, the OSR demonstrates the highest level of product and disease knowledge and proficiently employs selling and account management competencies. This position reports to a Customer Team Leader within the US Oncology Sales Organization.
This territory covers: Fort Worth, TX; West TX
The ideal location to reside is in the territory or within close proximity to the territory.
Overnight Travel: 20%
Travel (%) varies based on candidate’s location within the geography.
- Communicate about product in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customize discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Engage in informed discussions about products with HCP customers – knowing when/how to seek and provide additional information
- Within select customer accounts, act as primary point of contact for customer, meet with key customers/personnel to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers (MCO, employers, state and local regulations)/network structure, customer needs and identifies business opportunities
- For select customer accounts/HCPs, coordinate with customer team to develop customer strategy – outlining strategy for interactions/ relationship, solutions and potential offerings for customer
- Share learnings and best-practices from one customer to help other customers meet their needs
- Demonstrate a focus on better health outcomes (beyond acquisition, considers the HCP & patient experience)
- Provide input into resource allocation decisions across customers
- Identify and select programs/services available in the library of Merck "resources" to address customer needs
- Maintain current understanding of practice structure, business model, key influencers/ network structure and make information available to relevant stakeholders
- Influence beyond their specific geography or product area
- Demonstrate advanced ability to ask strategic, insightful questions to obtain information on customer needs from all stakeholders in oncology accounts, using the insights to position Merck Oncology brands and collaborate with customers on a customized strategy.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of how to create a compelling and logical rationale for the value of products and how to contrast, compare, and positions Merck brand(s) versus competition using appropriate proof sources. Oncology science is complex with need to be expert in multiple tumor types, disease states, and palliative care. OSRs need to have knowledge of staging and possible treatment options and dosing schedules associated with different tumors/diseases, with comprehensive understanding of the impact of those options on the patient. Must understand impact and use of clinical trials in multiple tumor types/therapies, both in impact on promoted products and in practice behavior of the account.
- Demonstrate ability to understand complex account interdependencies in order to develop both short- and long-term account plans in conjunction with a wide array of stakeholders, proactively working with the account team to effectively execute the account plan.
- Able to divide a customer base into customer segments and apply the insights to effectively allocate marketing resources and drive execution of the sales and marketing plans. Need to manage complex customer landscape and juggle multiple business models – PSAs, academic and community hospitals, community oncology products, IHS, referral networks.
- Understand and articulate the impact of various choices in the oncology payer environment, including the implications of multiple payers (Medicare Part B vs Part D, DMERC pharmacies, commercial payers). Reps must also understand the available resources for indigent/uninsured, underinsured patients as well as patient support programs and foundations (both Merck’s as well as third party resources).
- OSRs must understand and be able to appropriately communicate the billing and reimbursement process for oncology products (process for billing relative to J Codes and unspecified J Codes)
- Ability to analyze and identify trends in a complex buying environment. This includes the multiple channels of drug distribution, Oncology GPO’s, wholesalers and specialty pharmacies. Review and evaluate patterns for products purchased and prescribed, outpatient vs in-patient infusion, as part of hospital contract, etc.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with extended "in-scope" customer team to ensure a consistent customer experience across Merck's divisions and functional areas; ensure integration with the OKAM, Reimbursement Managers, extended Merck sales teams (US Market and Merck Vaccines), and other key stakeholders to share key customer learnings and support customer needs.
- OSRs are responsible for the appropriate prioritization, scheduling and engagement of the Reimbursement Associates and Nurse Educators within their assigned accounts.
Minimum of (3) years successful Pharmaceutical Sales experience
Minimum of (5) years Sales/Marketing experience in a Pharmaceutical and/or Health Science industry
Documented history of strong performance in Sales
Demonstration of strategic and execution oriented competencies
Ability to analyze metrics to assess progress against objectives
Experience developing new business opportunities with existing customers
Valid Driver's license
Successful experience in Hospital or Specialty Sales
Oncology Sales experience
Experience establishing new customer relationships
Completion of an Oncology Sales and Marketing training course
Successful experience in Oncology Access, Payer and Coverage environment
Oncology Launch experience
Experience in promoting multiple solid tumors
Understanding of Headquarter Operations
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Direct Sales Generic
Job Title:Customer Mgr, Sales
Primary Location: NA-US-TX-Fort Worth
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Fort Worth
Nearest Secondary Market: Dallas
Job Segment: Oncology, Pharmaceutical, Pharmaceutical Sales, Hospice, Medicare, Healthcare, Science, Sales