Director, Business Development - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Reporting to the Head of Business Development, the Director of Business Development will be responsible for identifying strategic opportunities to help build the company’s pipeline and expand its capabilities. The successful candidate will work closely with Research, Development, Commercial, Legal, Finance and Strategy.
- To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Work effectively with internal stakeholders and advisers to successfully complete transactions that will significantly drive value creation for the company and its shareholders.
- Proactively partner across the company to ensure thorough evaluation of proposed opportunities.
- Ability to reassess one’s own current thinking based on new information.
- Effectively develop compelling strategic and data-based justifications for opportunity recommendation including detailed analysis and rationale that is aligned to company’s strategic priorities. Understand various audiences and negotiate to successfully complete transactions.
- Lead due diligence teams working on complex problems of diverse scope in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various scientific, technical, financial and business factors as well as the application of broad-based experience.
- Insists on candor and confidence from others, once a decision is reached, stands behind the team and prioritizes what is best for the organization. Always acts with the highest degree of integrity, honesty and professionalism.
- Develops, nurtures and maintains strong relationships with companies, bankers, VC’s and or institutions which enhance company’s ability to identify attractive opportunities.
- Travel to attend major medical conferences, visit prospective partners and conduct due diligence.
- Perform other duties as needed within the organization.
- MBA preferred (or BS/BA plus additional transactional experience)
- Advanced degree (PhD or MD) and/or direct experience in liver disease preferred
- At least 5 years of experience as the primary party responsible for negotiating business partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances and other typical biopharmaceutical strategic transactions. (Prefer prior experience in investment banking, private equity, business development or related field).
- A deep understanding of the drug discovery and clinical development process and biotech / pharma industry.
- Must have a “roll-up their sleeves” work style understanding both tactical and strategic work are requirements.
- Strong hands-on knowledge of M&A valuation, financial modelling, transaction structuring, and deal terms.
- Superior communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.