Associate Principal Scientist - Protein Biochemistry/Biophysics - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Posted on : 09 June 2017
- Our company is focused on driving discovery research.
- Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with company’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologic. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of our company's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
- We are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough.
- Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team.
- We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration.
- At our company you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
- This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly experienced and innovative Associate Principal Scientist with a strong background in enzymology and biochemical/biophysical assay development to join the In Vitro Sciences group within the Cardio-Metabolic Disease therapeutic area at our company.
- The individual will lead by example in the laboratory through hands-on participation in conducting experiments, providing scientific and strategic input into the target portfolio, and innovative thinking in the construct of in vitro studies supporting various projects.
- The individual will also be expected to drive innovation, champion new initiatives, and provide leadership to discovery programs.
- Successful candidates should possess strong experimental and technical capabilities, have excellent written and oral communication skills, and work productively in a collaborative cross-functional team environment.
Key responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
- Provide enzymology expertise to target biology and drug discovery in broad therapeutic areas (cardio-renal and metabolic diseases, ophthalmology, immunology and oncology)
- Develop potency, kinetic and mechanistic assays to characterize enzymatic targets modulators, using sophisticated biochemical and biophysical methods
- Participate in multiple project teams to provide robust scientific and technical support
- Collaborate extensively within and outside of our company Research Laboratories to ensure successful project progression
Education / Work Experience Requirement:
- MS in Enzymology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or relevant scientific discipline with a minimum of (15) years of highly relevant industry experience
- Ph.D. in Enzymology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or a relevant scientific discipline, with a minimum of (4) years experience preferably in a Biotech/Pharmaceutical setting
- Expertise in mechanistic enzymology, enzyme kinetics, enzyme assay development, strong understanding of complex enzyme modulation mechanisms and SAR for drug discovery
- Highly skilled in the design and development of robust, automatable, plate-based biochemical assays, using a wide range of detection methods (e.g. spectrophotometric, radiometric, colorimetric, fluorescence and etc.)
- Highly experienced with modern biophysical techniques and instruments (e.g. SPR, BLI, ITC and etc.) to measure binding affinity and kinetic parameters
- Broad drug discovery experience with diverse classes of enzyme targets (e.g. kinases, proteases and metabolic enzymes) is strongly preferred
- Good working knowledge on key metabolic enzymes and related biochemical pathways (i.e. metabolism of fatty acids, lipids, phospholipids, TCA cycle and etc.) is a plus
- Good track records in the successful development and implementation of biochemical and biophysical assays for compound screening, complex data analysis, and integrating such data into mechanistic differentiation/optimization of small molecule and biologic lead candidates
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively to advance drug discovery projects in a highly cross-functional environment
- The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us.
- Our company is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Number of Openings: 1
Job Segment: Biochemistry, Scientific, Immunology, Oncology, Ophthalmic, Science, Engineering, Healthcare