VMF Instrumentation/Metrology Coach Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Under the direction of the Plant Engineering Director, provide maintenance/operations support for utility & manufacturing process equipment. The VMF Instrumentation/Metrology Coach is responsible for providing instrumentation (metrology) and controls support for manufacturing areas. The instrument coach directs a team to perform maintenance and troubleshooting activities. Evaluates instrumentation performance, completes calculations, and resolves deviations. Develops standard operating procedures (SOPs) and preventative maintenance (PM) plans/calibration procedures, as required. Follows proper procedures for maintaining equipment, supplies and facilities in manufacturing areas. Responsible for written documentation of activities. Actively supports, participates and embraces a team culture including significant interaction with Quality, Technical Operations, Engineering and other support groups.
- Manages contractors
- Contributes to the performance and results of a department
- Adapts departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges
- Decisions are guided by policies, procedures and business plan; receives guidance from manager
- Provides technical guidance to employees, colleagues or contractors
- Anticipates and interprets client and/or customer needs to identify solutions
- Works as a liaison between Plant Engineering and other Site Business Partners
- Contributes to the performance
- Applies skills to align work activities with department objectives
- Extensive industrial experience involving manufacturing systems and monitoring is needed
- Design, assembly, installation, adjustment, testing, cleaning, calibration, spare part identification, maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of plant instrumentation and electronic systems such as controllers, transmitters, indicators, plant and laboratory analyzers, and weighing systems
- Follow instructions for completion of job tasks.
- Complete written documentation of work performed.
- Provide training to direct reports.
- Flexible schedule required to support start-up activities
- Responsible for working as part of an empowered team to achieve site mission, vision and goals through:
- Efficient and safe operation of equipment
- Compliance with current good manufacturing procedures(cGMP), safety and environmental requirements/regulations/guidelines
- Effective communication
- Identifies and resolves technical and operational problems; collaborates with direct reports/peers to resolve problems
- that cross into inter-related units
- Has a strong problem solving skills and a hands-on approach to problem solving. Able to examine an issue from
- diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, automation, equipment, process, and people) in order to best understand
- and resolve root cause.
- Assist with trouble shooting all manufacturing equipment on an as needed basis which includes, but not limited to,
- instrument calibration and functionality.
- Provide direction in overseeing corrective, preventive and proactive maintenance tasks as needed to maintain manufacturing equipment.
- Communicates information, asks questions and checks for understanding
- Accountable for the performance of plant engineering energy center systems
- Decision Making
- Makes decisions – guided by policies, guidelines, and procedures – that impact the department’s ability to meet performance objectives
- Consults on an as-needed basis with next-level manager on more complex decisions and/or issues that impact other units with inter-related processes
- Adapts and implements departmental plans and priorities based on division scorecard to address local business, service and operational challenges
- Consults on an as-needed basis with next-level manager for newly identified priorities
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BA/BS degree in technical related field
Required Experience and Skills:
- 5 years of maintenance/metrology experience working in the consumer products, foods, or pharma industries.
- 5 years of managerial experience
- Ability to work with and troubleshoot computer control equipment, including Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and Distributed Control Systems (DCS)
- Instrumentation troubleshooting skills are essential: must possess the skills to be immediately effective in this area without further skills training
- Must be able to read electrical prints, P&IDs, and understand P&ID control loops
- This individual must have excellent documentation and verbal communication skills
- Must possess the ability to work effectively with peers, and display strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Metrology & pharma experience is preferred.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Production / Maintenance
Job Title:Mgr, Operations
Primary Location: NA-US-NC-Durham
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
Job Segment: Engineer, Instrumentation, Electrical, Strategic Planning, Laboratory, Engineering, Strategy, Science