This job is currently Archived,
University Lecturer Humanities Leiden Netherlands,
Universiteit Leiden (company)
Posted on : 29 April 2017
- The lecturers will be primarily expected to play an active role in the development of and teaching in the BA International Studies, offered at the Campus The Hague of our University, by the Faculty of Humanities;
- Teaching duties primarily concern a broad range of tutorials as part of the courses offered in the degree programme.
- The tutorial groups consist of small groups of about 12 -15 students.
- The purpose of these small groups is to offer students the opportunity to discuss the subject matter of the lectures, and practice the academic skills of the students, such as research skills (including literature and primary source research), written and oral presentation, and debating skills.
- Besides teaching tutorials these lecturing positions will also involve the full responsibility for one or more courses in International Studies or other degree programmes;
- In addition, the lecturers will mark and assess student assignments and exams, supervise student papers and theses, organize extra-curricular activities, carry out pastoral duties, and contribute to the administration of the programme.
- The lecturers are expected to be able and willing to teach and supervise beyond their own specialization;
- Each lecturer will be assigned a central role in the coordination of a disciplinary (culture, economics, history or politics), or geographical pathway or the Practicing International Studies course in the programme;
- The lecturers will be expected to engage in original research and apply for research funding fitting into the research profile of one of the Institutes in the Faculty of Humanities.
- Recent Ph.D. in hand or a confirmed final examination (viva, oral defence) date before the start of the appointment;
- Formal training and expertise in the humanities or the social sciences, including but not limited to, history, area studies, political science and international relations, economics, cultural and social disciplines, linguistics, philosophy or related disciplines;
- A research agenda fitting into the research profile of one of the relevant Institutes in the Faculty of Humanities: Institute for History
- A research agenda compatible with one of the disciplinary or regional pathways in the International Studies programme defined above and fitting in the contemporary (post 1945) focus of International Studies;
- A proven track record in publication compatible with the academic career;
- Openness to interdisciplinary work;
- Comparative international outlook;
- Regional specialization is a requirement for some of the positions, for some of these positions an advanced competency in a language of the region of specialization is an additional requirement;
- Preferably two years experience with small group teaching and supervision in a multidisciplinary programme like International Studies;
- Proven ability in coordinating tasks in teaching and supporting boards
- (Near-)native speaker of English;
- Non-Dutch speaking individuals will be expected to learn Dutch within two years;
- Experience in a multicultural and international classroom and work environment.
- The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and regional studies covering nearly every region of the world. Our faculty is home to more than 5400 students and 800 staff members.
- Depending on possible employment history at our University, the appointment is initially for two years, starting 15 August 2017, and convertible into a permanent position thereafter on condition of good performance. The position corresponds to the position of University Lecturer in the University system of job profiles (UFO).
- The university lecturer will be based at the University Campus in The Hague. Salary range, depending on education and work experience, from
2311 EZ Leiden Netherlands
Find a Job Find Candidates