Undergrad Co-op -Therapeutic Discovery (Functional Screening) - Canada
- Our company specializes in the discovery and development of human therapeutic antibodies.
- It employs approximately 50 people, including research scientists and a small support staff.
- Our company has more than 17,000 staff members worldwide.
- A biotechnology pioneer since 1980,our company was one of the first companies to realize the new science’s promise by bringing novel medicines from lab, to manufacturing plant, to patient. Our company has changed the practice of medicine, helping millions of people around the world in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and other serious illnesses.
- With a deep and broad pipeline of potential new medicines, our company remains committed to advancing science to dramatically improve people’s lives.
- The successful candidate will work as part of the Functional Screening group at our company.
- The Functional Screening group is responsible for the identification of functionally active antibodies from panels of antigen-specific antibodies and the subsequent characterization of these antibodies by utilizing customized cell-based functional screening assays.
- The student will be responsible for cell culture and other laboratory duties to support the core research efforts.
- The student will also be involved in performing a variety of cell biology techniques to support projects on an as needed basis in a semi-independent fashion under supervision.
- The job involves assisting researchers in all aspects of studies including experimental design, literature searches, data collection, and data analysis.
- The student may also have the opportunity to learn techniques such as: flow cytometry, ELISA, cell survival assays, cytokine release assays, cell transfection, stable cell line development, reporter assays, T cell activation, automated liquid handling.
- Our company requires that all individuals applying for an undergraduate internship or an undergraduate co-op assignment at our company must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years or older
- Currently enrolled in a full time Bachelor’s degree program from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 minimum GPA or equivalent
- Completion of one year of study from an accredited college or university prior to the internship commencing
- Enrolled in a full time Bachelor’s or Combined Bachelor's/Master's degree program following the potential internship or co-op assignment with an accredited college or university
- Must not be employed at the time the internship starts
- In the process of earning a Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Immunology/Microbiology, Life Sciences, or related discipline
- Able to work for two consecutive four month terms with continued employment for the second term dependent on the positive performance review at the end of the first term
- General knowledge of cell biology, immunology & molecular biology would be an asset
- Previous lab experience
- Completion of previous co-op term(s)
- High attention to detail and able to comply with written procedures
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English
- Function effectively as part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.