Transitional Project Manager - United States
Focus of Activity
Leads and manages medium sized projects that normally fall within scope of experience/expertise.
Typical tasks at this level are indicated within the competency section (above), however, a summary of high level main responsibilities are:
• All aspects of project management for medium size/complexity project (incl. risk, change management, planning, tracking etc).
• Defines, documents and safely executes of medium size projects, directing and counseling project team members, and advising clients/users as necessary on all phases.
• Liaises with other managers within the IS and ICT functions and within the business; manages expectations for projects.
• Ensures that own projects are formally closed and, where appropriate, subsequently reviewed.
• Evaluates and makes recommendations/decisions on technical options as appropriate.
• Controls the development, training, and appraisal system for project staff, or
• Advises resource managers (project staff line managers) on the development, training and appraisal issues for project staff.
Essential Background Requirements
• Typically educated to university level (e.g. Bachelor or Master). Otherwise, may hold a relevant professional qualification.
• Has been successful in the role of Project Manager level 5, or
• Has 4-6 years prior (IT related) project experience of leading small to medium sized projects.
• Has shown the minimum of technical competencies and experiences as described below in the Client PM Certification and received the Client PM Certification as Project Manager.
• Is able to manage projects/services in English and has an intermediate English Level (Client University).
• Has a proven record of realistic estimation and demonstrates the financial/cost awareness along with the customer facing and behavioral skills to take responsibility for medium size projects.
Desirable Background Requirements
• Has an established network of contacts within the local Client and is actively developing a wider Client network.
• Experience in international assignments/working internationally.
The Transition Project Manager is responsible for the successful transition of client IT services into the Client Managed Services delivery model.
As an extension of the Managed Services service delivery organization, the role of the Transition Project Manager is to successfully manage the transition engagement to achieve the service levels and metrics incorporated into the statement of work.
The Transition Project Manager is responsible for the implementation of the contractual requirements between the customer and Client.
This begins at the signing of a multi-year outsourcing contract, and ends when the services have achieved "Steady State” operations which typically include the transfer of people, assets, processes, and knowledge from customer to vendor.
Summary of Duties
• Project Management o Development and execution of the consolidated Transition project plan o Development and execution of Communications Management Plan o Leadership and Teamwork o Change Management o Risk Management o Financial Management o Compliance to established timelines and Budget controlling o Provide identified deliverables as defined in the SOW and Solution Design o Delivery "Readiness” to Steady State Operations o Effective project closeout
• Performs Operational Improvement Activities o Assumption Validation o Identify Process Improvement opportunities o Identify Optimization opportunities A)
Education: • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, IT or other related field or equivalent training • Project Management Institute Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification or equivalent B)
• Minimum of 10 years of industry experience in IT services • Experience with Project Management in IT outsourcing environment • 5-7 or more years of management or matrix management experience C)
• Proven ability to manage large, complex IT projects effectively under timeline pressure and within budget • Proven ability to effectively communicate across all level of an organization • Proven ability to lead a diverse team from all areas of an organization • Excellent communications skills – verbal and written • Advanced skills with Microsoft Project, Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, basic Visio skills