Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
To be successful as a Trade Compliance Specialist you must be a customer oriented self-starter who is detail oriented and has experience with international trade compliance regulations.
- Ability to correctly determine preferential and non-preferential origin of products manufactured by the group for all US & CA Free Trade Agreements (FTA).
- Understand and apply the rules of the Origin Determination in compliance with all FTAs.
- Work with the worldwide process expert to establish or modify existing procedures.
- Able to determine proper trade classifications, i.e., HTS codes, PGAs, of products the company distributes and purchases globally; record these codes within the internal system and assure a compliant audit trail exists for all codes assigned.
- Develop and deliver training to the GBUs related to HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) classification, country of origin, record keeping, special trade programs and other government agency requirements.
Create and update procedure and work instructions to reflect current practices or to make improvements.
- Keep up to date on current and future regulation changes.
- Interact with internal/external customers and colleagues, brokers, freight forwarders, and other functional areas to ensure coordination and legal compliance of shipments.
- BS/BA degree in Business, Science, Engineering or a related field is preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with international trade compliance regulations particularly in tasks related to FTA and Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) classifications required.
- Licensed Customs Broker preferred.
- Experience with processes related to engineering change order and documentation controls, particularly in the chemical industry desired.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google applications including advanced Excel (VLookUp and Pivot Tables) required.
- SAP GTS experience is a plus.
- Exceptional interpersonal, problem solving, communication, organization, presentation, and analytical skills required.
- Ability to travel up to 10% as needed.