This job is currently Archived,
Technologist - United States
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 24 May 2017
Perform specialized production duties to maintain and monitor the health, production and physical environment of animals within isolators, micro-isolator cages or barrier rooms. Provide training to departmental staff on all technical skills and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for complying with all SOPs pertaining to specific area of responsibility. Provide input into the creation/revision of SOPs and assist in implementation and training of new SOPs.
- Perform specialized duties in the following areas: packing and shipping animals to customers; performing animal surgeries; biospecimen orders and introducing supplies.
- Perform production duties, ensuring proper breeding procedures and maintaining appropriate levels of assigned specialized rodent breeds, including inbred and outbred strains.
- Monitor animal health by observing animal behavior, physical appearance, and physical environment. Identify and report any abnormal findings.
- Responsible for collecting health monitoring swabs and following health monitoring schedules.
- Maintain the biosecurity of the animal physical environment by following SOPs related to introduction and removal of supplies/animals, isolator inspection and supply inspections.
- Maintain accurate departmental and isolator records.
- Participate in preparation of reports, order inquiries and completion of customer paperwork as assigned.
- Participate in planning/coordination of customer projects for department.
- Train departmental staff on all levels of animal husbandry, production and tasks including feeding, watering and cleaning cages as required. Monitor animal health visually and by swabbing.
- Train departmental personnel on specialized tasks in the following areas; packing and shipping animals to customer; providing technical training to departmental personnel; performing animal surgeries, biospecimen orders and introducing supplies.
- Perform humane chemical and physical euthanasia in accordance with the Guide for Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the AVMA Guide on Euthanasia, and under the direction of the attending veterinarian, or designee.
- Responsible for QA checks on departmental procedures, developing corrective action items and instituting a follow up plan.
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety and ergonomic guidelines.
- Perform physical environment housekeeping duties and production operations according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and/or Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in order to maintain biosecurity.
- Adhere to safety procedures and follow ergonomic practices and stretching schedules.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.)
- Experience: Two to four years related experience and/or training.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the Assistant Technician (ALAT) level or its equivalent preferred.
- Other: Ability to communicate and follow verbal and written directions accurately. Ability to multi-task. Organizational skills and attention to detail required. Experience using computers and peripheral hardware preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our company is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet