Perform specialized production duties to maintain and monitor the health, production and physical environment of animals within isolators, micro-isolator cages or barrier rooms. Provide training to departmental staff on all technical skills and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for complying with all SOPs pertaining to specific area of responsibility. Provide input into the creation/revision of SOPs and assist in implementation and training of new SOPs.
- Perform specialized duties in the following areas: packing and shipping animals to customers; performing animal surgeries; biospecimen orders and introducing supplies.
- Perform production duties, ensuring proper breeding procedures and maintaining appropriate levels of assigned specialized rodent breeds, including inbred and outbred strains.
- Monitor animal health by observing animal behavior, physical appearance, and physical environment. Identify and report any abnormal findings.
- Responsible for collecting health monitoring swabs and following health monitoring schedules.
- Maintain the bio security of the animal physical environment by following SOPs related to introduction and removal of supplies/animals, isolator inspection and supply inspections.
- Maintain accurate departmental and isolator records.
- Participate in preparation of reports, order inquiries and completion of customer paperwork as assigned.
- Participate in planning/coordination of customer projects for department.
- Train departmental staff on all levels of animal husbandry, production and tasks including feeding, watering and cleaning cages as required. Monitor animal health visually and by swabbing.
- Train departmental personnel on specialized tasks in the following areas; packing and shipping animals to customer; providing technical training to departmental personnel; performing animal surgeries, bio-specimen orders and introducing supplies.
- Responsible for QA checks on departmental procedures, developing corrective action items and instituting a follow up plan.
- Maintain physical environment cleanliness, maintain biosecurity and maintain recordkeeping and production operations according to SOPs.
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety and ergonomic guidelines.
- Perform general housekeeping, adhere to safety procedures and follow ergonomic practices and stretching schedules.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.)
- Experience: Two to four years related experience and/or training.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the Technician level or its equivalent preferred.
- Other: Ability to communicate and follow verbal and written directions accurately. Ability to multi-task. Organizational skills and attention to detail required. Experience using computers and peripheral hardware preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity