Technical Support Group Manager - United States
The Technical Support Manager will provide world-class global support to customers & ZEISS service engineers, in the technical support, service instruction, and training delivery of Carl Zeiss X-ray Microscopy Systems, to ensure that a high-level of customer satisfaction is achieved and maintained.
Technical Support Group Manager
- Day-to-day supervision of the Pleasanton XRM Technical Support Group, including running a regular team meeting and managing escalated sites
- Driving continuous improvement in Technical Support by developing lean processes. This includes identifying and tracking key performance indicators (KPI’s) to help take the team towards a vision of ‘100% customer satisfaction from the moment that the installation begins’
- Continuously improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the team by using a high level of visual management in the Technical Support processes, and maintaining a high level of workplace organization in the physical work areas (e.g. the Training Room, work cubicles, store room) and electronic data (e.g. Technical Support folder structure on the server and intranet)
- Maintaining a departmental skills matrix to manage training and development requirements within the team and using cross training as required.
- Developing individuals SMART goals and objectives
- Conducting performance reviews for the Technical Support team members
- Manage coverage (including being able to perform this role when necessary) of telephone, email and remote-diagnostic service support (as required) to ZEISS’ service personnel, and customers to provide support in a timely and effective manner for all XRM products
- Managing the assignments (including being able to perform this role when necessary) of the role of ‘2nd level escalation problem owner’, and providing on-site support when necessary as defined in the company’s Escalation Process
- Ensuring that the TSE ticketing system is maintained and updated in real-time
- Conducting regular trending analysis for support issues to identify targeted training needs, design improvements and NPI tasks
- Manage technical documentation requirements, including service manuals, installation requirements, field service instructions, and technical support bulletins, for the Pleasanton XRM product lines.
- Ensure that all Pleasanton training courses are planned and scheduled in-line with the Microscopy training schedule and that all trainees’ administrative needs are attended to
- To monitor current planned system sales and installs according to published sales reports and slot plans.
- To supervise pre-shipment quality check process is being carried out correctly, in order to maintain 100% operational systems to the customer upon arrival
- To liaise with SSC’s on scheduling and manpower requirements to enable the timely completion of installations, sign off and user training.
- To supervise the TSG group’s involvement with the XRM NPI process in order to provide design feedback, training, procedures and roll out to the field, including service instructions, calibration procedures and parts lists.
- To be a secondary contact point for worldwide Zeiss SSC’s on pricing and content for XRM product service contracts.
- To monitor the local Pleasanton Inventory as a backup to the worldwide RLC’s stock, and to maintain parts lists, availability and shortages in order to minimize system downtime in the field.
- Provide state of the art supply chain response to customer down spares and re-stocking, by tracking orders and backlog and manage inventory levels accordingly.
- Ensure compliance with the Company’s procedures and controls.
- Perform other duties that may be requested from XRM Head of Operations
- Some domestic and international travel will be required to support customers and service engineers; in some cases this will need to be arranged at short-notice.
- BS in technical/scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 10 years direct experience building, maintaining, installing, and/or repairing 3D imaging systems or similar complex electromechanical systems.
- Minimum 8 yrs of management experience
- Excellent troubleshooting skills. Must be able to diagnose complex system problems. Must be able to help customers and engineers diagnose complex system problems via telephone or e-mail.
- Able to analyze complex problems and make sound judgments based on competing priorities.
- Knowledge of data collection and analysis techniques.
- Superior communications skills. Able to converse readily in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to create and deliver technical presentations to individuals or groups.
- Knowledge of DOS and Windows operating systems and common software applications.
- Proven ability to work successfully as an individual contributor or as part of a team.
- Able and willing to travel as necessary (~50%)
- Eligible for passport.
With more than 25,000 employees, ZEISS is one of the global leaders in the optical and optoelectronic industries and has been contributing to technological progress for 170 years. ZEISS develops and distributes lithography optics, measuring technology, microscopes, medical technology, eyeglass lenses, camera and cine lenses, binoculars and planetarium technology.
If you are interested in this position, please send us your application using the link at the bottom of this page, indicating your earliest possible entry date.
We are an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disabled employer.