Technical Services Associate Specialist - United States
KARL STORZ Endoscopy-America, Inc. (KSEA), is an affiliate of KARL STORZ GmbH & Co. KG, an international leader for more than 70 years in reusable endoscope technology, encompassing all endoscopic specialties. Based in Tuttlingen, Germany, KARL STORZ GmbH & Co. KG is a family-owned company that designs, engineers, manufactures, and markets all its products with an emphasis on visionary design, precision craftsmanship and clinical effectiveness.
Headquartered in El Segundo, California, KSEA is responsible for all U.S. distribution of endoscopes, instruments, imaging systems, electromechanical devices and OR1® integration technologies.
This position provides product advice to both internal and external customers. This advice may be basic or in-depth depending on the background of the individual. The position is intended primarily for individuals who have a strong background (example Surgical Technician/ Biomedical Technician), but who lack extensive exposure to the breadth of KARL STORZ devices or systems. This position has frequent interaction with internal and external customers to provide technical advice on KARL STORZ and Third Party devices marketed by KARL STORZ.
- Demonstrate commitment to serving customers, communication with the customer, and create a welcoming environment for KSEA employees and our customers.
- Comply with current laws, other regulatory agencies, and institutional and operating systems.
- Adhere to all KSEA Policies and Procedures as they apply.
- Knowledge and adherence to Guidelines and Procedures as they are described in the annual education module.
- Protect employee and customer confidentiality.
- Adhere to current organizational Performance Improvement priorities.
- Provide technical assistance with regards to surgical and operational use, troubleshooting with coaching from senior department members, reprocessing and maintenance information with coaching from senior department members, and the selection of KARL STORZ and 3rd party product marketed by KARL STORZ. Professionally troubleshoot and resolve customer issues with KARL STORZ products, thereby improving KARL STORZ branding and product image.
- Demonstrate features or operation of KARL STORZ product line via various mediums including phone, e-mail, conventions, labs, formal training and where deemed appropriate. All presentations must be reviewed with senior department members prior to delivery.
- Must complete training on assembly and disassembly of KARL STORZ products in order to learn how to instruct customers on these steps.
- Complete basic training on aseptic technique, OSHA blood borne pathogens and HIPAA regulations as they related to KARL STORZ products.
- Complete basic training on requirements for instrument cleaning, sterilization, high level disinfection and basic reprocessing regulations and guidelines.
- Complete basic training on Regulatory and FDA guidelines regarding medical devices to prepare you to correctly apply these guidelines during customer interactions.
- Draft correspondences under direction of more senior members for customers on safe use, operation, processing and sterilization of KARL STORZ products when necessary, while conforming to various Regulatory guidelines.
- Participate in trial and testing of new and prototype products under supervision of more senior department members.
- Observe training of customers on KARL STORZ and third party products when directed.
- Develop knowledge of High Level Disinfection principles, as well as a working knowledge of the various different types of HLD solutions available for use. Must develop an understanding of the differences between high level disinfection and sterilization as they relate to processing surgical devices.
- Develop an understanding of various vaporized hydrogen peroxide systems for device sterilization. Must develop ability to advise callers of any potential lumen restrictions in processing flexible and rigid telescopes or instruments, as well as any potential material incompatibility with sterilization process. Must develop knowledge of validation of sterilization process for Canadian customers and understand the differences for instruction between the two domestic markets.
- Develop an understanding of Steam Sterilization processes including flash and wrapped cycles in both gravity and pre-vacuum type sterilizers. Develop an understanding of the differences between the various cycles and identify cycle parameters including time, temperature and pressure.
- Develop an understanding of Ethylene Oxide sterilization, with the emphasis on 100% gas, as well as knowledge of various other mixes. Should develop a thorough understanding of the constraints upon using EtO gas in the medical facility, personal safety issues, and alternate choices for processing and be able to instruct customer on the various validated sterilization modalities for an instrument based on institutional issues.
- Develop an understanding of STERIS SYSTEM1E for device processing. Must be able to advise callers on approved combination of quick connect adaptors and processing trays validated for sterilization of device, material and device compatibility or incompatibility with sterilization method, as well as any contraindications of sterilization method for specific devices.
- This position will develop an understanding of the validated sterilization methods, parameters and correct selection of sterilization trays and containers used for sterilization, reprocessing and storage of multiple complex instrument sets.
- Participate in drafting and maintaining internal department documents and where directed, external documentation.
- A minimum education level of a High School Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Certifications/ Credentials preferred CRCST, CBME, CBMT, RN, CBET,
- 2-4 years of experience.
- Possess exceptional organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Familiarity with the KARL STORZ product line helpful.
Additional Qualifications desired:
- Exceptionally strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Good public speaking skills. Must be comfortable in front of small audiences.8Knowledge of various governmental and private standards, examples include FDA, AAMI, OSHA, CDC, IEC, UL, CSA, AORN, ECRI, APIC, etc.
- Must be able to provide clear and concise directions to callers requiring assistance in most direct manner in order to minimize expensive operating room down time. Must possess ability to assess skill level of caller to communicate directions effectively.
- Knowledge of infection control practices and techniques.
- Familiarity with aseptic principles as practiced in and around the operating room and outpatient surgical environments.
- Ability to develop an understanding of various endoscopic instrument procedural sets and their applications.
- Ability to learn proper assembly and disassembly directions and instructions for use on KS products and to communicate this information to customers.
- Must have the ability to develop a working knowledge and understanding of requirements for instrument cleaning, sterilization and high-level disinfection necessary to instruct users on basic reprocessing. Must be able to learn to recognize conditions for creation of Product Complaint and generation of same. May be capable of assisting Regulatory department in Complaint Investigation.
- Understanding of medical terminology and slang.
- Must be able to develop an understanding of operating room protocol including aseptic technique, OSHA blood borne pathogens and HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to develop an understanding of reprocessing and sterilization theory and practice.
- Strong knowledge of various Microsoft Office programs, example Word and Excel. Must be able to navigate various SAP functions.
- Solid understanding of basic mathematics.
- Ability to research, understand and apply technical information from various resources including product manuals, catalogs, service manuals, and Regulatory standards (Private and governmental) and effectively communicate this information to diverse audiences.
KARL STORZ reserves the right to change or modify the employee’s job description whether orally or in writing, at any time during the employment relationship. Additionally, KARL STORZ, through its supervisors, may require an employee to perform duties outside their normal description within the sole discretion of the supervisor. Employee must comply will all applicable KARL STORZ policies and procedures
KSEA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, KSEA complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.