Team Leader, Research - United States
Charles River (company)
For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an experienced Team Leader, Research for our Safety Assessment site located in Reno, Nevada.
This position will be responsible for serving as lead/primary technician and performing technical duties, administering test substances, and generating data on any type of study (i.e., basic/complex/specialized). This individual will perform clinical observations, sample collection, and monitor food consumption of animals on assigned studies as well as handle, restrain, and provide care for all species of laboratory animals at the site. Additionally, the candidate will provide leadership, technical guidance, and serve as a mentor to less experienced staff while assisting department management with oversight and daily supervision of technical personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as lead/primary technician and perform technical duties, administer test substances, and generate data on any type of study (i.e., basic/complex/specialized).
- Perform clinical observations, sample collection, and monitor food consumption of animals on assigned studies.
- Handle, restrain, and provide care for all species of laboratory animals at the site.
- Review study protocols and provide recommendations to study director/supervisor on technical and logistical aspects of protocol design.
- Assist in preparing responses to both internal and external quality assurance audits.
- Assist in study start up procedures requiring cross departmental interaction with all key study personnel.
- Assist the department manager/supervisor and study technicians in the execution of all study-related activities required across all studies including the scheduling of daily work and technical staff.
- Promote inter- and intra-departmental communication in order to facilitate and maximize performance associated with research projects.
- Ensure that weekend assignments have been made, that the technicians assigned understand what needs to be completed, and that all assignments are covered.
- Collect and record research data and biological specimens in compliance with Good Laboratory Practice Regulations (GLP), study protocols and SOP’s.
- Provide leadership, technical guidance, and serve as a mentor to less experienced staff.
- Work with scientific staff to develop new techniques and/or models.
- Contribute to department operations improvement in areas such as SOP revisions, department inspections, and equipment maintenance.
- Observe animals for general health and overall well being.
- Ensure raw data records are accurate, complete, and in appropriate order, and meet protocol specifications and/or GLP requirements. Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements. Review data as generated/collected by less experienced technical staff.
- Use GLPs, SOPs, processes and company policies when performing all job functions.
- Assist in rescheduling activities across studies as necessary to meet the needs of all ongoing studies.
- Provide guidance in the day to day activities of limited assigned departmental employees to ensure accurate, high-quality work, and adherence to pertinent departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols]. Assist supervisor to prioritize workload of assigned group. Ensure schedule is prepared daily, accurately reflecting group and laboratory tasks and work load.
- Assist in the interview and selection of qualified non-exempt personnel. Assist in developing recommendations regarding personnel actions, including hiring, promotions and raises. Assist in the drafting of appropriate personnel action paperwork.
- Identify training and development needs of assigned staff. Assist in the development, implementation and delivery of departmental training programs; ensure that assigned staff receive departmental orientation and necessary on-the-job training. May maintain group training manual and training records.
- Monitor performance of assigned staff. Assist in providing regular coaching and counseling.
- Schedule overtime as directed by supervisor. Assist in the coordination of vacation/time off schedules.
- Assist in the maintenance and communication of departmental systems and SOPs.
- Ensure that departmental equipment is maintained in good working condition and that departmental area(s) are maintained in a clean and orderly condition.
- Serve as a model as it relates to effective time management, communication and utilization of resources. Provide leadership and motivation to departmental personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Team Leader, Research position.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) or equivalent in scientific related discipline.
- Experience: 4-6 years related experience in animal science, biology, chemistry/pharmacy, or similar lab environment or must have fully satisfied technical and experience requirements for the previous level. GLP experience preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the LAT level strongly preferred
- Other: Demonstrated interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, and leadership/supervisory skills. Ability to handle a variety of laboratory animals. Proficient in technical skills and the operation of data collection equipment. Knowledge of GLP’s and other federal regulations and guidelines relating to the care of laboratory animals required. Understanding of routine and complex study design and protocols. Knowledge of math to calculate and prepare dosing preparations/Formulations. Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Computer literacy including word processing, spreadsheet and database programs.
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet