Team Leader, Laboratory Sciences - United States
For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
Assist department management with oversight and daily super vision of technical personnel. Serve as lead/primary technician and perform technical duties. Generate data on any type of study (i.e., basic/complex/specialized). Provide leadership, technical guidance, and serve as a mentor to less experienced staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the department manager/supervisor and study technicians in the execution of all study-related activities required across all studies including the scheduling of daily work and technical staff.
- Serve as lead/primary technician, performing laboratory procedures and collecting and recording/documenting research data in compliance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), study protocols and company policies/practices.
- Review study protocols and provide recommendations to study director/supervisor on technical and logistical aspects of protocol design.
- Assist in preparing responses to both internal and external quality assurance audits.
- Assist in study start up procedures requiring cross departmental interaction with all key study personnel.
- Promote inter- and intra-departmental communication in order to facilitate and maximize performance associated with research projects.
- Work with scientific staff to develop new techniques and/or models.
- Contribute to department operations improvement in areas such as SOP revisions, department inspections, and equipment maintenance.
- Prepare data forms for all types and complexities of studies.
- Ensure raw data records are accurate, complete, and in appropriate order, and meet protocol specifications and/or GLP requirements. Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements. Review data as generated/collected by less experienced technical staff.
- Assume responsibility of the supervisor as assigned.
- Provide guidance in the day-to-day activities of limited assigned departmental employees
- Assist/provide input to supervisor/manager regarding personnel management activities such as: scheduling, personnel actions (hiring, promotions, transfers, etc.), training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, disciplinary actions and preparing and delivering annual performance and salary reviews.
- Serve as a role model for effective time management, communication and utilization of resources
- Assist in the maintenance and communication of departmental systems and SOPs.
- Ensure accurate, high-quality work, and adherence to pertinent departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols].
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) or equivalent in scientific related discipline.
- Experience: Four to six years related experience in biology, chemistry/pharmacy, or similar lab environment or must have demonstrated full knowledge of competencies and positive performance at the previous level.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None.
- Other: Demonstrated interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, and leadership/ supervisory skills. Proficient in technical skills and the operation of data collection equipment. Knowledge of GLPs and other federal regulations and guidelines. Understanding of routine and complex study design and protocols. Knowledge of math to calculate and prepare dosing preparations/Formulations. Must be able to perform effectively as a team member, accurately record data, follow verbal and written instructions, communicate effectively, and interact in a professional manner with management, coworkers, and sponsors. Able to quickly learn and utilize computer programs as needed; previous computer experience preferred. Able to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet