Team Lead, Research Scientific Director - North Central US Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Oncology SD Team Leader will understand the corporate and portfolio/product strategy for Merck Oncology products and is a scientific resource capable of conducting high level scientific and strategic interactions with external Scientific leaders as well as internal Merck leaders. In addition, this person will be responsible for specific programmatic needs that leads the SD team to achieve company, MRL, and individual performance objectives through direct supervisory functions.This leader will maintain current knowledge of the changing Oncology healthcare landscape and demonstrate a deep understanding of customer needs. The Team Leader will collaborate across MRL to formulate plans that integrate with and support a cross-portfolio strategy.
- Provide leadership/supervision, set short and long-term strategic direction for the regionally based Oncology Scientific Directors (SDs) in alignment with SD, MRL, program, & organizational/portfolio goals.
- Develop solutions to complex problems which require regular use of ingenuity and innovation. Ensures solutions are consistent with organizational objectives.
- Obtain key insights and scientific input in early through later stage life cycle management of Merck’s Oncology product portfolio.
- Plan and execute regional team meetings, communicate medical and clinical information, MRL strategy and other relevant information to their field based team.
- Participate in home office initiatives including research and strategy meetings as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring the successful integration of new members into their assigned roles and responsibilities as well as continued mentorship of new and existing SDs.
- Liaise with appropriate cross functional stakeholders to understand dynamics and implications for MRL scientific and research strategy.
- Responsible for having insight into the national/regional/local clinical and health care reform trends impacting MRL
- Participate and support the development of Oncology product and portfolio research strategy utilizing the regional team’s customer insights and therapeutic expertise.
**Headquarters located in Rahway. Position will work remotely within North Central US**
- An advanced degree (M.D., Ph.D. or Pharm.D.) with prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical or healthcare environment.
- A minimum of 7 years Oncology/Hematology Clinical/Research experience.
- Knowledge of Oncology treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, FDA regulations, and OIG guidelines.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to network and partner with important external customers, including Scientific Leaders, investigators, academic institutions, large group practices.
- Demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and ability to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority.
- Deep therapeutic competency; abreast of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area.
- Experience leading projects and interacting with cross-functional teams
- Willing and able to travel up to 65% of the time.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a direct manager of scientists/clinicians (preferably in field-based roles)
- Clinical trial research experience.
**Headquarters located in Rahway. Position will work remotely within the North Central US**
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Scientific Affairs ONC
Job Title:Dir, Scientific Affairs
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Other Locations: NA-United States
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Scientific, Medical, Oncology, Hematology, Manager, Engineering, Healthcare, Management