Supplier Development Engineer - Secondary Packaging Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Supplier Development & Performance Management (SD&PM) Supplier Development Engineer will work closely with the SD&PM Team (Systems & Processes, Quality Leads, Field Specialists, etc.) and a be a key technical interface with Merck Direct Material Suppliers (hereafter MMD Suppliers) and MMD sites on pro-active activities.
This interaction with MMD Suppliers includes, but is not limited to, performing HyperCare activities at the Supplier manufacturing site to ensure a flawless launch, executing Supplier Capability Assessments, Up-Skilling Suppliers, and leading Specification Alignment activities. In addition, the SD&PM Supplier Development Engineer will interface with Merck Global Sciences, Technology, and Commercialization (GSTC) group, and the Large and Small Molecule Lines of Business.
The SD&PM Supplier Development Engineer will be regionally based (e.g. Americas, EMEA, and APJ), located in a Merck site, and be instrumental in the following areas for high risk MMD Suppliers in their region.
- Leading the execution of the Technical Capability Assessment (TCA) for new and existing Suppliers, to determine if gaps exist in 11 critical Supplier categories (e.g. Mold Asset Management, Material Flow, Sub Supplier Management, Change Control, Visual Management, 5 Why’s, etc.) and then Up-Skilling the Supplier to close those gaps.
- Performing HyperCare Activities (e.g. walk the lines at the Supplier Manufacturing Site and confirm in-process controls are in place, ensure that current Merck specifications / drawings are being used at Supplier, verify the release equipment in Supplier lab is the same as Supplier qualification and equivalent to Merck Lab, analyze Supplier release test results for Normality, X-Bar Chart, Histogram, Control Limits, etc.) prior to and/or during Supplier launch for MMD Supply.
- Partnering with Global Procurement to identify “high-risk” Items / Suppliers and then mitigating that risk (e.g. HyperCare, Supplier Capability Assessment, etc.) for MMD sites.
- Performing a Gap Analysis between specifications, methods, equipment, etc. at MMD Suppliers vs. MMD plants and then mitigate those gaps (e.g. Gage R&R, etc.) to pro-actively reduce future deviations, supply issues, etc. due to misalignment between Merck and Supplier.
- Partner with other SD&PM personnel (e.g. Systems, Quality, etc.) and other members of GSMG to manage MMD Suppliers.
- Required: Minimum BS in engineering, materials science, or equivalent scientific field
- Minimum of 7 years technical experience in these areas:
- Demonstrated technical skills, with operations, quality, and/or engineering background in the areas of chemical, pharmaceutical and/or vaccine manufacturing and packaging, or similar regulated industry
- Demonstrated leadership skills including professional/interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to develop and maintain commercial relationships external to Merck is key
- Ability to work in a matrix organization to leverage expertise from other functions and departments within Merck.
- Six Sigma certified Green Belt or Black Belt
- Secondary Packaging / Printed Component experience
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Job keywords: Supplier Development Engineer, Secondary packaging, labels, corrugate, raw materials, APQP, Advanced product quality planning, PPAP, Production part approval process, Wilson, Charlotte, Raleigh - Durham, NC, Elkton, VA, West Point, PA, Kenilworth, Whitehouse Station, NJ
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Supplier Dev & Perf Mgmt
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Supplier Dev & Perf
Primary Location: NA-US-NC-Wilson
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West, NA-US-PA-West Point, NA-US-NC-Durham, NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth, NA-US-VA-Elkton
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Raleigh
Nearest Secondary Market: Rocky Mount
Job Segment: Chemical Research, Manufacturing Engineer, Engineer, Package Design, Pharmaceutical, Engineering, Manufacturing, Science