Coordinate and supervise the work of employees in the general maintenance and upkeep of buildings, grounds, and equipment. Responsible for maintaining electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and related systems. Perform the work of employees and other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct daily supervision and inspect work of assigned employees to ensure completeness. Schedule and prioritize work assignments of group members.
- Determine material, equipment, and supplies to be used. Transfer equipment and personnel from one project to another as necessary.
- Coordinate or install, inspect, repair and maintain electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other related systems in all site buildings.
- Coordinate or inspect, operate and maintain the site’s heating, ventilation and cooling (HVAC) systems (including boiler system).
- Perform general repairs such as painting, patching walls, security hardware, hanging shelves and landscaping.
- Coordinate renovations of existing facilities and the construction of new facilities.
- Coordinate and inspect major contract work on the site’s electrical, plumbing, mechanical and other related systems.
- Maintain repair records and other paperwork in compliance with GMP/GLP standards as applicable.
- Assist in the interview and selection of qualified non-exempt personnel. Recommend personnel actions, including hiring, promotions and raises. Partner with Human Resources and departmental management to assist in the handling of disciplinary issues. Draft appropriate personnel action paperwork.
- Identify training and development needs of direct reports. Assist in the development, implementation and delivery of departmental training programs; ensure that direct reports receive departmental orientation and necessary on-the-job training. Oversee maintenance of group training manual and training records.
- Monitor performance of direct reports. Provide regular coaching and counseling. Assist in preparation and delivery of salary and performance reviews of direct reports.
- Schedule overtime as authorized. Review and approve time cards. Coordinate vacation/time off schedules.
- Recommend short-range operating objectives, organizational structure of direct reports and staffing requirements. Assist in the development of a departmental plan for backup and succession of key technical personnel.
- May assist in development of departmental budget.
- Ensure optimum performance of group function. Recommend and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, take advantage of opportunities, and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Assist in the development, maintenance and communication of departmental systems and SOPs. Assist in the development and communication of job descriptions for subordinate positions as necessary.
- Respond to emergencies as needed. Provide 24-hour on-call maintenance coverage, as scheduled in rotation.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.).
- Experience: Six to eight years related experience in general building maintenance with mechanical and construction background.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: Current, valid motor vehicle operator’s license required. Must have valid license in at least one trade (electrical, plumbing, HVAC).
- Other: None.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet