- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations. Perform animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols. Maintain accurate records of animal breeding, health. May be involved in maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures.
- Assemble, set up, and operate any necessary experimental equipment.
- With guidance from scientific management, maintain a technical knowledge and understanding in his/her assigned area of responsibility.
- Document experimental data in technical notebooks or approved electronic files including activities undertaken, existing conditions, observed results and variation from expected data patterns.
- Record and prepare data for inclusion in project reports.
- Conduct laboratory procedures in compliance with established protocols/plans and with regulatory and laboratory requirements.
- Able to perform the following techniques:
- Oral gavage in rodents
- IV, SQ, IP, IM injection techniques in rodents
- Blood collection:
- Tail vein in rodents
- Orbital sinus in rodents
- Cardiac in rodents
- Necropsy and tissue collection
- Rodent euthanasia via exsanguination preceded by administration of CO2 or anesthesia; cervical dislocation preceded by administration of CO2 or anesthesia; or, administration of CO2.
- Interact with other personnel within the department, key support groups and the division, to develop a network of resources to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: B.S./B.A. degree in Biological Sciences or related field from an accredited college or university is required.
- Experience: Must have at least 2 or more years of previous laboratory animal research experience. Research experience in heart failure preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: LAT preferred
- Other: Basic computer skills preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity