Staff Writer, BioCentury Innovations - United States
BioCentury, a global provider of healthcare business intelligence, news and data, has openings for Staff Writers for its translational research publication, BioCentury Innovations.
BioCentury is an independent, entrepreneurial media group devoted to identifying, explaining and analyzing innovation in healthcare for an international audience that spans key opinion leaders in the scientific, business, investment, government and patient communities.
BioCentury provides its services through a multimedia platform that includes electronic publications, television, databases and conferences, with an increasing component focused on mobile applications and social media.
BioCentury Innovations focuses on the "Idea to IND" phase of drug development and covers developments at the interface between industry and academia. In particular, BioCentury Innovations identifies discoveries with commercial potential from the academic literature, news and other sources, and discusses the implications of breakthrough technologies for drug development and early stage investment in R&D.
BioCentury's Editorial Department is responsible for fact-finding, reporting, analysis and writing for the company's information products. These activities require interviews in person or by telephone; research of the literature; and the compilation, organization and interpretation of facts and numerical data from printed, electronic or other sources.
BioCentury Innovations Staff Writers report on and write about discoveries and breaking news events in biomedical research with a focus on drug development and investment opportunities. Subjects may include advances in biological sciences, translational science and medicine, preclinical development of pharmaceutical compounds, actions by regulatory and political bodies affecting healthcare, and venture capital investment in healthcare innovation.
BioCentury Innovations Staff Writers write articles and short five-sentence abstracts of important publications on tight deadlines for publication in BioCentury Innovations, a weekly publication distributed in multiple electronic formats.
BioCentury Innovations Staff Writers also write short company profiles and may from time to time write longer articles for BioCentury, the company's flagship weekly publication, also distributed in multiple electronic formats.
BioCentury Innovations Staff Writers work at the direction of BioCentury Innovations' Executive Editor in our Redwood City office.
Successful Staff Writers have the opportunity to advance to the next level, Senior Writer, taking on longer and more complex topics requiring more extensive interviewing and deeper analysis.
A Staff Writer candidate will be able to show:
- The ability to identify from journal abstracts, news items and other sources important scientific breakthroughs, and to be able to explain the science behind the discovery to a knowledgeable industry audience.
- The ability to identify the most important information that must be communicated in a brief five-sentence summary; to identify information gaps that must be filled to create a complete story; and to organize a strategy for obtaining the necessary facts from interviews, internal and external databases and other sources.
- The ability to write articles and summaries clearly and accurately in English that is correct with respect to grammar, spelling and style, within the company’s deadlines.
- The ability to work with a high degree of independence to deliver high-quality work on short deadlines with a minimum of supervision.
- A bachelor's degree with relevant coursework in biomedical sciences, biomedical engineering, finance, economics and/or business, or work experience that demonstrates the skills required for the position.
Experience in industry, technology transfer or academic translational programs is an advantage. The ability to interpret statistics is highly desirable.
Finally, all BioCentury employees are obligated to meet the highest standards with respect to accuracy, conflict of interest, intellectual property rights, slander, confidentiality and respect for information sources and readers.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Company-sponsored health and life insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Bonus opportunity