This job is currently Archived,
Staff Scientist: Omics Analysis in Metabolism Leuven Belgium,
Posted on : 02 June 2017
- The laboratory of Professor Peter Carmeliet (part of the Center for Cancer Biology, CCB) is one of the research departments.
- The lab is focusing on the development of blood vessels and vascular metabolism, and consists of 20 plus junior researchers.
- The lab is seeking a dynamic, highly motivated and experienced Staff Scientist to coordinate and support the implementation of an in-house developed multi-omics bioinformatics-platform and to further develop software tools, combined with state-of-the-art mass spectrometry and metabolism data analyses.
- The focus of the lab is to characterize the role of metabolism during the process of angiogenesis in health and disease in order to identify novel therapeutic applications.
- A team is currently set-up to analyze omics-data with bioinformatics tools and to provide a link between mass spectrometry related data analyses (metabolomics, proteomics), next-generation sequencing (RNA-sequencing, genomics including single-cell analyses) and endothelial cell biology.
- To lead and coordinate this team, we are seeking a (senior) bioinformatician (postdoc level with relevant years of experience) to aid in the development of novel tools or to improve existing tools. S/he will be leading a bioinformatics team and will be responsible for developing and improving state-of-the-art metabolic profiling in a highly recognized scientific environment.
- The candidate will develop and apply informatics tools that allow researchers to understand better the metabolic changes occurring during angiogenesis in health and disease.
You are responsible for:
- Working independently with a team of bioinformatics to build the Lab s know-how in omics analysis.
- Adapting and developing innovative software tools and bioinformatics-platforms to perform streamlined data analysis for omics-technologies and tailoring these towards specific research questions
- Assisting group leaders and scientists in data analysis and interpretation of the data
- Organizing weekly team meetings to update your research results
- You have strong data analytical skills and a fundamental knowledge of bioinformatics (R, Python, programming skills, machine learning) and previous experience in analyzing high-throughput data
- A solid background in mass spectrometry for metabolite determination and identification would be an advantage
- Candidates are interested in analyzing and integrating complex omics- and clinical datasets, and in working in a multidisciplinary environment of experts in biomedical sciences, metabolomics, transcriptomics and bioinformatics
- Candidates have a PhD in computer science or bioinformatics
- You are interested and motivated to work on ambitious projects in an open, dynamic, competitive and driven team
- You should have excellent organizational and supervisory skills, you can inspire and motivate a team
- You should have a strong ability to handle multi-tasks spontaneously, meet timelines as well as work independently and accurate
- Good communication skills in spoken and written English
- You have a good publication record (including at least one paper as a first author) in peer-reviewed international journals, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity of publications.
- The opportunity to lead a multidisciplinary international team and contribute to the biological validation of omics data sets
- Access to state-of-the-art technologies in biomedical research
- A dynamic working environment in which quality, professionalism and team spirit are encouraged
- A competitive remuneration package, a stimulating scientific surrounding in a young, enthusiastic, motivated team (with English as main language)
- Long-term career opportunities
- Excellent training conditions within a team of experts in the field of bioinformatics and metabolism
- starting as soon as possible.
Find a Job Find Candidates