Staff Scientist: Mass Spectrometry Data Analyst - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- The lab is focusing on the development of blood vessels (angiogenesis) and vascular metabolism, and consists of 20 plus junior researchers.
- The lab is seeking a dynamic, highly motivated and experienced Staff Scientist to contribute to the state-of-the-art analysis of cellular metabolic pathways by applying and developing metabolic tracer studies (using stable isotope-labeled tracers) combined with gas and liquid based mass spectrometry(GC-/LC-MS).
- The focus of the lab is to characterize the role of metabolism during the process of angiogenesis in health and disease in order to identify novel therapeutic applications. A team is currently set-up to analyze omics-data with bioinformatics tools and to provide a link between mass spectrometry related data analyses (metabolomics, proteomics), next-generation sequencing (RNA-sequencing, genomics including single-cell analyses) and endothelial cell biology.
- To complement this team, we are seeking a (senior) biochemist (postdoc level with relevant years of experience) with a focus on development and implementation of metabolic phenotyping/metabolomics to address specific research questions and data acquisition applying advanced mass spectrometry platforms.
- The candidate will collaborate extensively with leading-edge researchers and bioinformaticians and will support researchers to understand better the metabolic changes occurring during angiogenesis in health and disease.
You are responsible for:
- Working independently to analyze mass spectrometry (GC-/LC-MS) data and to complement a team of bioinformaticians.
- Adapting and developing MS technologies for the identification and quantification of metabolites from biological tissues, cells and fluids and tailoring these towards specific research questions
- Assisting group leaders and scientists in data analysis and interpretation of the data
- Organizing weekly team meetings to update your research results
- You have strong data analytical skills and a fundamental knowledge/background in mass spectrometry (GC-MS and/or LC-MS) for metabolite determination and identification
- Experience in advanced metabolomics technologies and isotopic labeling for metabolic tracing is preferred
- Candidates are interested in analyzing and integrating complex omics- and clinical datasets, and in working in a multidisciplinary environment of experts in biomedical sciences, metabolomics, transcriptomics and bioinformatics
- Candidates have a PhD in (analytical) chemistry, biochemistry, biology or related field
- You are interested and motivated to work on ambitious projects in an open, dynamic, competitive and driven team
- You should have excellent organizational and supervisory skills, you can inspire and motivate a team
- You should have a strong ability to handle multi-tasks spontaneously, troubleshoot on MS-related issues, meet timelines as well as work independently and accurate
- Good communication skills in spoken and written English
- You have a good publication record (including at least one paper as a first author) in peer-reviewed international journals, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity of publications.
- Access to state-of-the-art MS-technologies in biomedical research
- The opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary international team and contribute to the biological validation by using omics data sets
- A dynamic working environment in which quality, professionalism and team spirit are encouraged
- A competitive remuneration package, a stimulating scientific surrounding in a young, enthusiastic, motivated team (with English as main language)
- Long-term career opportunities
- Excellent training conditions
- starting as soon as possible.