This job is currently Archived,
Staff Optical Systems Engineer - United States
Becton Dickinson (company)
Posted on : 15 April 2017
- The Staff Optical Systems Engineer will lead and execute all optical engineering aspects of the design and development of medical devices and flow cytometery platform. The candidate will participate in cross functional product development efforts developing new systems and optical architecture, with an emphasis on overall system optimization by improving interactions between optical subsystems and other platform subsystems.
- You will bring your expertise in optical systems design to a collaborative team of talented engineers across different disciplines (electronics, fluidics, mechanical, software, firmware, reagents and systems) to realize our advanced products.
- The ideal candidate will possess a strong level of expertise in optics and opto-mechanical designs, optical florescence-based measurement systems, including excitation and detection optical designs, laser systems, photodiode and other photon detection methods, modern filters, modeling of light propagation for analysis and optimization of signal-to-noise, sensitivity, etc.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Optical Engineering or Physics with MS or Ph.D. strongly preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Typically requires 8+ years of relevant experience, and outstanding knowledge in developing complex systems with optical, fluidics, electrical, and mechanical elements.
- Demonstrated experience in the successful design and implementation optical architecture including free space components and fiber optics
- Demonstrated experience with full life cycle development including architecture design, requirement analysis, design, implementation and testing.
- Demonstrated experience in breaking down and solving complex problems using engineering data, analysis and tools.
- Demonstrated experience with optical modeling techniques, rapid prototyping, filter optimization and spectral analysis
- Experience in creating and developing new test methods, statistical experiments, performance and validation studies of optical systems for functionality, accuracy and robustness.
- Experience working in a matrix organization with multiple projects and accountabilities.
- Extensive hands experience in the development and testing of optical components and systems
- Knowledge of engineering modeling programs, software simulation tools (e.g. ZEMAX, MatLab, COMSOL) or analytical modeling.
- Familiarity with application-oriented 3D-modeling (Solidworks, etc.) is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication as well as presentation skills to senior leadership.
- Experience in a lab environment preferred.
- Demonstrated successful design and implementation of novel systems that incorporate optical, electrical, mechanical and fluidics systems that address customer needs in the life sciences/medical field
- Knowledge and experience with direct laser diode.
- Demonstrated a good understanding of state of the art optical engineering designs
- Demonstrated experience in conducting technology sensing activities that help define next generation architectures/solutions
- Design for Six Sigma and DFMEA experience
- Experience working in an Agile Product development environment