Staff Engineer, Software UX Design - United States
Becton Dickinson (company)
Be part of the future. Join the rapidly growing field of life sciences and deliver products that will help people live healthy lives. If you have a passion for creating intuitive, simple, and beautiful designs that delight users this is the role for you. Scientist and Clinicians struggle on a daily basis with the complexity of scientific and clinical software. Your creativity can make them more productive and have an impact on the pace of science and the pace of healthcare.
BD Biosciences is exploring new opportunities that will accelerate the pace of scientific research by helping customers be more efficient and effective at their work. We are looking for a highly creative, energetic individual capable of providing user experience leadership as we move towards making products that are intuitive and easier to use.
The Staff Engineer, Software UX Design will own the design leadership and execution of key end to end experiences for our next generation flow cytometry applications. This person must be an excellent hands on designer that can create exciting results on their own, and both participate in and lead a cross-functional team through a collaborative design process to deliver rapid prototypes, user stories, concept sketches, experience storyboards, information architecture, interaction design, visual design, design research and usability for the range of business intelligence offerings across desktop, mobile device and web experiences. The candidate needs to be competent in all of facets of the design process, and exceptionally talented and skilled in at least one major area (e.g. visual design, or interaction and information architecture design).
The candidate will work closely with a team of business analysts, subject matters experts, project managers, and software engineers in a highly collaborative agile environment. Strong communication and collaboration skills are required.
This role will be instrumental in helping to define our user experience strategy as we evolve our current product offerings to web and mobile based platforms.
- Own and lead UX design for our products.
- Maintain an unwavering focus on our customers and the value you can deliver to them. Introduce new design concepts that simplify the use of complex software.
- Work hand in hand with software developers and stakeholders to design innovative UI and best user experience through the entire design and development process.
- Drive adoption of user experience practices and support development teams throughout the implementation cycle.
- Participate in the process of collecting feedback on idea sketches, wireframes, and implementations from users and project stakeholders.
- Create UX standards and develop assets to convey proper implementation guidelines (UI guidelines, information architecture, design principles, wireframes, storyboards, and prototypes).
- Lead cross division efforts to create standards and reusable assets.
- Create and lead the development of graphic assets that support the vision for user interaction.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, HCI, Interaction Design, Computer Science or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience designing User Experience for commercial products through the product development cycle of successfully launched web, mobile, and/or software applications .
- Passion about our users and creating perfect experience for them.
- A well-rounded, experienced UX professional who connects the dots between business needs, innovation and good design.
- Experience delivering a UX design for complex products from start to finish.
- Obsessed with good user-centered design practices.
- Solid problem solving skills, attention to detail and critical thinking abilities. Demonstrated ability to strategically solve problems.
- Passion for working in an agile team that gets things done quickly.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback from non-designers.
- Experience working in an Agile product development environment
- Strong visual design sense.
- Great communication skills.
- Experience leading UX team.
- Experience designing mobile apps.
- Experience designing scientific software.
- Experience with one or more programming languages (Java, C++, C#).