STAFF ENGINEER - PRODUCT DESIGN - United States
Becton Dickinson (company)
STAFF ENGINEER - PRODUCT DESIGN, PRODUCT LIFECYCLE ENGINEERING
BD is a leading global medical technology company that develops, manufactures and sells medical devices, instrument systems and reagents. The Company is dedicated to improving people's health throughout the world. BD is focused on improving drug delivery, enhancing the quality and speed of diagnosing infectious diseases and cancers, and advancing research, discovery and production of new drugs and vaccines. BD's capabilities are instrumental in combating many of the world's most pressing diseases. Founded in 1897, BD employs approximately 45,000 associates in approximately 50 countries throughout the world. The Company serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories, the pharmaceutical industry and the general public. The company headquarters in scenic Franklin Lakes, NJ is close to major metropolitan routes that provide easy access to numerous academic, arts, leisure, sports and historic areas of interest. BD offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package, strong leadership commitment to individual development and learning, and on-site fitness & wellness centers.
As part of the Product Lifecycle Engineering (PLE) team, the Product Design Engineer will be an integral part of the lifecycle management for Pre-Analytical Systems’ core products. The Product Design Engineer will be responsible for providing design engineering support involving a broad range of product design approaches ranging from first principles analyses to numerical modeling to advanced mechanical design. The Product Design Engineer will play a critical role in maintaining, analyzing and designing medical device components and systems by being the product design subject matter expert for the cross-functional PLE team.
- Responsible for providing advanced design support as well as design leadership and solutions for robust product designs and activities needed to meet key business objectives.
- Represents the PLE group as the prime subject matter expert on design related activities, especially concerning all Computer Aided Design aspects.
- Identify best in class design practices and lead the implementation of these into the regular lifecycle management of products.
- Perform tolerance analyses to assess specification adequacy and support risk based decisions.
- Effective and efficient integration of Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) tools, such as Finite Element Analyses (FEA), Mold Fill/Cool/Warp Analyses, Optimization, etc. to drive design iterations and decisions.
- Contribute to the development of new CAE and CAD capabilities, methodologies and expertise by staying aware of trends in the computational and visualization technology fields and actively seek training to further improve skills.
- Creates and manages complex CAD solid models of components and assemblies, utilizing expert level CAD techniques. Creates and manages complex component and assembly production drawings.
- Drives the accurate recreation/reverse engineering of components and assemblies to ensure legacy drawings/specifications are upgraded to current standards. Familiarity with tools such as Geomagic a plus.
- Develops technical solutions to complex problems by leveraging appropriate mix of first-principles, analytical, computational and experimental methods.
- Performs data analyses using statistical tools, regression analyses and developing transfer functions, presenting results to peers and business leadership.
- Applies innovative & logical risk based approach to overcome challenges with the capacity for original and independent thinking.
- Ensures compliance with BD quality policies, procedures, and practices through appropriate communication, training and education of sound quality assurance principles.
- Supports material/design/process changes to the product line through Design Control process, with well-documented research/analyses.
- Demonstrates accountability for successful and timely completion of designated tasks.
- Guides the successful completion of major programs and may function in project leadership role and/or R&D core team member.
- B.S.: 10+ years of experience in technical area
- M.S.: 8+ years of experience in technical area
- Ph.D.: 5+ years of experience in technical area
- Expertise in Computer Aided Design and Drafting (2D and 3D), with at least 5 years experience. PTC Creo is preferred.
- Expertise in piece-part design considerations for Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) of precision, high-volume components in a range of materials, including plastics.
- Able to demonstrate that a sound knowledge of engineering first principles and the implementation of a diverse set of CAE tools is integral to design experience.
- Strong proficiency in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and statistical based tolerance analyses is required.
- Strong technical and objective reasoning skills.
- Familiarity with best practices in Product Lifecycle Management. Experience with SAP is a plus.
- Strong creative, analytical and problem solving skills required.
- Experience in guiding team/individuals to develop technical solutions to complex problems.
- Experience with reverse engineering components and assemblies to produce accurate drawings/specifications is highly desired.
- Experience with R&D functional planning, requirement generation and technical (DFSS/Design/Cross functional) reviews for all product development phases.
- Design experience for medical device and/or diagnostics industry is highly desirable.
- Strong project management, prioritizing and multi-tasking skills to work within tight deadlines.
- Ability to effectively and clearly communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals and teams.
- Understanding of Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA).
- Formal training and experience in Six Sigma (DMAIC) practices, and Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methodologies or probabilistic design approaches is a plus.
- Good written & verbal communication skills.
- Experience in directing associates and leading small cross-functional groups is required.