Sr. Territory Manager - Swine (Central Iowa) Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Sr. Territory Mgr is a key member of the field tactical team and plays a critical role in supporting Merck's customer centric business model. He/she is responsible for working in their respective territory to understand and identify veterinary clinic, and large account needs and offer solutions through selling Merck Animal Health products. The Sr. Territory Mgr is responsible for support of pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy and ensuring that Merck Animal Health is viewed as bringing value and technical innovations aligned to our strategic focus the Science of Healthier Animals. In addition, the Sr. Territory Mgr demonstrates the highest level of competency and thoroughly understands the resources available across Merck Animal Health and our Distribution Partners. In addition to the sales accountability this position has added responsibilities based upon business needs that will include one or more of the following areas: Advanced Account Leadership, Peer Leadership and Training, Business Analysis and Planning, and/or Technical Systems Applications and Tools.
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Communicates about products in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customizes discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Primary point of contact for assigned customers, meets with key personnel/decision makers to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers (Practice Manager/Owner/Nutritionists/Consulting Vets), customer needs, and identifies business opportunities.
- Develop customer strategy - outlining strategy for interactions/relationship, solutions, distributor partner involvements, and potential offerings for customer resulting in sales opportunities, account sales growth, and achieving sales goals of Merck Animal Health products and services.
- Develop annual territory business plan and specific actions for key customers.
- Shares learning and best-practices from one customer to help other customers meet their needs. Shares with other team members within the region to foster growth and development within the team.
- Effectively utilizes tools and resources to analyze sales results on a monthly basis and manage expenses within budget guidelines.
- Identifies and selects programs/services available within Merck Animal Health’s resources to address customer needs and provide education & training opportunities to accounts.
- Works with Leadership, Marketing, Commercial Operations or Field Technical Services to develop and deliver relevant offerings that address desired customer needs.
- Maintain current understanding of Merck Animal Health products, industry trends, competitor landscape, business objectives, key influencers, and network structure and make information available to relevant stakeholders to influence sales trends. Able to articulate and communicate relevant customer, industry, product, and market trends appropriately through the organization.
- Proficient in all competency areas (Customer/Market Insights, Customer Engagement, Strategic Business Management, Market Access, Product Knowledge/Portfolio Management, Regulatory/Compliance, Account Management, Sales/Business Acumen, Customer Segmentation/Targeting, Market Management, and Inventory/Supply Chain Knowledge).
- Collaborates and Influences internally beyond their specific geography or species area.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BA/BS degree required
Required Experience and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of the Swine industry with a minimum of 8 years demonstrated sales and/or operations experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, iPad and CRM systems (i.e iRep, Veeva, MAXX, etc.)
- Deep understanding of data resources and analytic problem-solving tools to identify opportunities/ solutions to resolve customer issues and drive results. May act as a mentor to team members.
- Develops strong networks and relationships across functions and other organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated understanding of positions’ contribution to the business goals and willingness to adopt changes to current processes, identifying emerging needs and participating in defining innovative solutions to meet customer needs.
- Utilizes in-depth knowledge of customers’ business to anticipate needs/trends and to provide customer centric solutions that drive long term sustainable results.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of effective selling techniques and approaches to create a compelling rationale for the value and use of MAH products using approved resources.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a range of accounts to drive execution and follow through for all account tiers including large, complex accounts.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement an accurate business plan.
- Demonstrated ability to implement the strategic marketing plan.
- Superior organizational, analytical and time management skills.
- Must be results oriented and able to work independently and also as part of a team.
- Strong written/verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong understanding of business and financial metrics including the ability to analyze metrics to assess progress against objectives
- Ensures the highest ethical standards when handling Merck financial assets.
- Valid driver’s license
- This position requires regular overnight travel including air and driving travel
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of Merck products and therapeutic areas
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Direct Sales Generic MAH
Job Title:Customer Mgr, Sales MAH
Primary Location: NA-US-IA-Des Moines
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Des Moines
Job Segment: Field Sales, Consulting, Law, Marketing Manager, Manager, Sales, Technology, Legal, Marketing, Management