Sr. Specialist, Safety & Environment (Danville, PA) Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Primary Activities Include:
- Lead and be the subject matter expert (SME) for Safety & Environment (S&E) department in coordination with the site subsystem owners the High Risk Work program at the Danville site:
The programs include: Hazardous energy control, electrical safety, S&E device by pass, Line break, confined space, elevated work, Mobile crane, excavation and trenching.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA and Merck requirements regarding the entire High risk work programs.
- Assure adherence from the site to these standards and manage a continuous improvement.
- Support the site regarding the challenges created by the implementation and the sustainability of these standards to find practical, applicable and sustainable solutions.
- Lead and be the subject matter expert (SME) of the S&E Risk assessment program for the site
- Develop and coordinate the execution of the site S&E risk assessment program.
- Is in charge of the site Risk Register and its annual revision.
- Propose to SLT an annual risk reduction plan, track accomplishment.
- Lead and be the subject matter expert (SME) for S&E department in coordination with the site subsystem owner the powered Industrial Trucks (PIT) program.
- Support the site program regarding PIT for the S&E department.
- Is in charge of the detection of any changes in the regulation or internal standards regarding PIT.
- Lead and be the subject matter expert (SME) for S&E department in coordination with the site subsystem owner Hoist and Slings program.
- Support the site program regarding Hoist and Slings for the S&E department.
- Is in charge of the detection of any changes in the regulation or internal standards regarding Hoist and Slings.
- Lead for S&E and be the subject matter expert (SME) department in coordination with the site subsystem owner Contractor management program.
- Support the site program regarding Contractors management for the S&E department.
- Is in charge of the detection of any changes in the regulation or internal standards regarding Contractor management.
- Be part of the site Process Safety Management (PSM) team, he/she will be in charge of facilitate PHA session accordingly to the site annual PHA schedule. In coordination with the PSM stewardship team, he/she will have to conduct actions to improve the site PSM program.
- Support to Operations: Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned, be part of site trainer team during site training weeks, be main point of contact for batch sheet revision, Job safety analyses, equipment change controls, and software change control. Be part of the site safety committee. Organize the safety department communication plan (webpage, communication as e mail, stand up.)
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned as main point of contact for safety document organization.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or other related discipline.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in primary manufacturing (preferably in a pharmaceutical environment) or in the Oil & Gas industry.
- Strong knowledge of EHS legislation and standards.
- Technical expertise must include all of the following: Hazardous energy control, Electrical safety, Line break, Confined space entry, Elevated work, and OSHA regulations.
- Strong written, oral communication & interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability.
- Self-directed & demonstrated efficient work methods, problem solving skills & ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Six Sigma Green or Black Belt
- Experience as a Process Hazardous Analyses (PHA) facilitator.
- Auditor skills.
- Computer Skills using PHA Works
- Technical expertise with any of the following: Mobile crane, Excavation and trenching, Powered Industrial Truck, Hoists and slings, Contractor management, Process safety management, EHS device bypass
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Env, Health & Safety Generic
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Safety & Environment
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Danville
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: Cherokee is an API site with antibiotics (beta lactam) and presence of numerous hazardous raw materials and hazardous wastes
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Bloomsburg
Nearest Secondary Market: Allentown
Job Segment: Environmental Engineering, Engineer, Safety, Electrical, Environmental Health & Safety, Engineering, Service, Healthcare