Sr. Specialist (Manager) Marketing Services Procurement Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Manager/Sr. Specialist is responsible for strategic sourcing execution across several marketing services categories through cooperation with global, regional and/or local sourcing professionals in a matrix organization (SSC). The categories in scope are: Creative/Digital, Adaptation/Execution/Print, Media and Medical Education (specific responsibilities will be assigned based on individual’s core strengths, experience and interests). The primary mission is to perform sourcing execution of approved strategies under the direction of global category leads using the 5-Stage Sourcing Management Process (SMP) in pursue of achieving/exceeding key metrics such as savings, supplier diversity, supplier performance management and working capital.
Critical to success targets and activities:
- Implementation of tactical plans or projects directly linked to a strategy created during the course of SMP. Develop, rollout and execution of RFIs/RFPs pursuant to supplier selection aligned with strategic goals; process re-engineering in cooperation with the business pursuant to modify or create processes in connection with strategic goals; dialogue and meetings with SSC matrix organization in connection with execution of strategic goals; others that are directly linked with execution of strategic goals.
Supplier management (SRM):
- Implementation of actions and projects in connection with SMP or strategic goals pursuant to develop, improve, sustain or reposition Merck's relationship with critical/strategic suppliers. Development of supplier forums and participation in congresses or market organizations; dialogues and meetings with business partners and suppliers in connection with Target; review, analysis and negotiation of contracts pursuant to Target; data gathering/analysis pursuant to generation of insights in connection with Target.
- Drive on going procurement activities pursuant to transactions and projects not in connection with SMP or strategy creation/execution. This is normally driven by daily/weekly requests from critical business partners and the SSC matrix organization. Contract review/negotiations; PO issue resolution; creation of new vendors; supplier issue resolution; technology/process execution; dialogues and meetings with GP in connection with supplier and stakeholder resolution; data gathering and analysis leading to short/medium term insights in connection with SMP or ad-hoc; all transactions not in connection with SMP or strategy creation/execution which ensure sustainability of the procurement function.
Critical to success relationships:
This role is responsible and accountable for sustaining existing and developing new cooperation frameworks across three stakeholder groups:
- With Procurement Colleagues: Participates in teams of global, regional & local representatives in the SSC matrix to implement strategic source plans as well as to ensure alignment on key initiatives and priorities for broader marketing services categories. Act as a member of the team willing to carry out the mission and ensure that input from all members is taken into account.
- With Business Partners: Engages and partners with critical stakeholders to define and meet/exceed business requirements and identify and manage profit plan savings targets. Act as a trusted advisor to a wide range of business partners in the marketing organization with a keen ear for needs and wants, and the ability to influence and guide decision making, but also the courage to appropriately challenge the status quo.
- With Agencies: Interact with Global, International and Enterprise agencies in pursue of key agency performance metrics against business requirements; ensure adequate inclusion of diversity suppliers in RFPs and contracts as applicable. Act as a representative of the Corporation with a relentless drive to ensure Merck is using Agencies’ core competencies, provide a fair opportunity for sustainable growth, and optimize their spend.
Process, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and Market Knowledge:
- Category Management – Uses the 5-Stage Sourcing Management Process (SMP) to drive assurance of supply, quality, service, cost, innovation and regulatory compliance within assigned categories resulting in sourcing plans that optimize value and ensure appropriate risk management. Understands the Sourcing Management Process and how to modulate its application in the creation and implementation of source plans.
- Proactive Cost and Cash Flow Management: Contributes to cost control, cost reduction, and cost containment and cash flow targets, and adds value to area of expenditure through a strong TCO orientation and process management.
- Market Knowledge and Insight: Uses market knowledge and data analysis to gain critical insights that inform the execution of Sourcing Strategies and continuous improvement activities. Actively participates in relevant industry conferences and events as appropriate.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's degree required; Marketing, Business or related field strongly preferred.
- MBA or advanced degree and/or relevant certification desirable but not a must.
Required Experience and Skills:
- 3 years experience in strategic sourcing or related role.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Previous Marketing/Media/Advertising/Digital agency experience highly desirable.
- Experience in international business or management consulting also desirable.
- Knowledge of Procurement related business processes.
- High level of analytical and rational thinking. Cultural awareness and sensitivity required.
- Demonstrates particular strengths in collaboration, written and verbal communications, and cross-functional teamwork.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Services Procurement
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth, NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Law, Procurement, Marketing MBA, Marketing, Healthcare, Legal, Operations