Sr. Scientist, Pain & Symptomatics Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
By joining the Neuroscience department at Merck, you will engage in exciting drug discovery research targeting the symptomatic treatment of nervous system disorders including pain, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and schizophrenia. We are looking for a technically skilled in vitro scientist, that is motivated to work as part of a high profile team to apply advanced cell biology and electrophysiology techniques to identify, validate, and progress innovative novel drug targets. You will work independently, but will be expected to proactively collaborate with colleagues across disciplines.
Primary responsibilities include the design and implementation of in vitro experiments for target identification and mechanism of action studies including establishing in vitro cell-based model systems and performing functional/biochemical cell-based assays to support established discovery programs. The position will also require the ability to study the scientific literature, develop new technical expertise, and be an active participant in scientific dialogue in project meetings and internal/external scientific meetings.
- Primary role is to design, execute, interpret and report in vitro experiments.
- Develop disease relevant cell based models using primary neuronal cells, cell lines, and/or native tissue and execute assays using these preparations.
- Monitor, review and critically interpret published work to guide internal research.
- Collaborate with members from other functional areas, including medicinal chemistry, in vivo and in vitro pharmacology and translational sciences.
- Communicate data clearly and concisely.
- Interface with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
· A Bachelor's degree in Biological or Physical Science with a minimum 7 years of pharmaceutical or biotech industry or academia experience, preferably in neuroscience, OR a Master’s degree in Biological or Physical Science with a minimum 4 years of pharmaceutical or biotech industry or academia experience, OR a Doctoral degree in Biological or Physical Science with a minimum of 1 year of pharmaceutical or biotech industry experience.
- Extensive experience with electrophysiology.
- Primary neuronal cell culture experience.
- Strong data analysis skills including a practical knowledge of statistics.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Established record of innovative thinking to champion new ideas and solve problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of study reports, presentations and ability to contribute to manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed literature.
- Experience with molecular biology or biochemistry.
- Experience with calcium imaging and GPCR signaling.
- Stable cell line generation.
- Experience developing assays for high throughput screening.
- Background in transgenic and experimental models of pain, psychiatric, or neurodegenerative diseases.
- Experience with multiple therapeutic modalities (small molecule, antibody, peptide).
- Familiarity with human genetics and genetic analysis.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job Title:Sr. Scientist, Biology-Discovery
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Hazardous Materials: Hepatitis ,TB Blood Test
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Neurology, Chemistry, Genetics, Scientific, Biochemistry, Healthcare, Science, Engineering