Sr. Scientist 2 - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases.
- We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children.
- These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options.
- Our company will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
- Our company's Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market.
- These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain our company’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
- The Analytical Chemistry department at our company is seeking an experienced mass spectrometrist at the Sr. Scientist 2 level to join a team focused on supporting gene therapy & enzyme replacement therapy efforts to address genetic disorders.
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, independent and critical thinker who has proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and collaborative environment.
- The candidate will utilize mass spectrometry for the characterization of gene therapy agents and biologic in our pipeline.
- The individual will focus on characterization of complex proteomes including proteins that constitute virus particles as well as in-process samples generated during viral production.
- An ideal candidate would be comfortable with high-end mass spectrometry, complex biological sample analysis and collaboration with biological scientists to solve process development challenges and inform product development.
- The position requires technical focus and technical mentoring without direct management responsibilities.
- Knowledge of biology, particularly gene therapy is a bonus.
- Collaborate with process development groups including cell culture and purification to understand project needs and develop analytical methods with a focus on mass spectrometry that can support process decisions
- Develop a relevant tool box of assays and knowledge at the interface of mass spectrometry and gene therapy for process development and product characterization
- Develop mass spectrometric methods to analyze virus capsid proteins including intact mass analysis as well as peptide digests followed by omics-type approaches
- Develop targeted mass spectrometry assays to follow viral proteins in complex biological samples
- Develop discovery-type approaches to follow entire proteomes in complex biological samples, for eg. to follow and correlate the quality and extent of viral transduction to proteomics changes
- Conduct experiments to support product characterization, comparability studies and stability studies in a timely fashion
- Routinely share experimental data with project teams and write protocols & reports
- Train colleagues and associates in the group when needed and provide mentorship in mass spectrometry including proteomics sample preparation, hardware maintenance and software usage
- Serve as an expert in mass spectrometry, particularly proteomics, to colleagues in Research and Development organizations within the company
- Expertise in biological mass spectrometry, particularly ESI-MS and protein characterization
- Experience in viral proteomics and/or stem cell proteomics
- Extended experience with labeling (TMT) and or label-free (DIA and DDA) proteomics approaches for differential protein profiling
- Skillful in developing sample preparation techniques to reproducibly convert complex biological samples into mass spectrometer friendly samples
- Operate (and maintain, if needed) mass spectrometers such as the Orbitrap Velos & Agilent QQQ 6495 routinely
- Data analysis of complex proteomic data using software such as Mascot, Byonic, Proteome Discoverer and Progenesis.
- Operate mass spectrometers such as the Agilent ICPMS 7900, Agilent qTOF 6550 and Waters SYNAPTG2 as and when needed
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced environment
- Exposure to gene therapy and/or stem cell proteomics
- Exposure to carbohydrate mass spectrometry for enzyme products
- Mass spectrometry of DNA
- RNA profiling of viruses
- Ph.D. in biological mass spectrometry or biophysical characterization including mass spectrometry of proteins or gene therapy agents.
- At least 8 years of experience is required.
Operation of mass spectrometers such as the Orbitrap Velos, Agilent QQQ 6495, Agilent qTOF 6550 and or Waters SYNAPT G2 will be required.