Sr Engineer I, Pilot Facility, Gene Therapy - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
|External Posting Title||Sr Engineer I, Pilot Facility, Gene Therapy|
|Job Description||Biogen is presently looking to fill a Senior Engineer position within its Gene Therapy BioProcess Development Pilot Facility. Candidate must be motivated and innovative with exceptional analytical and communication skills. The candidate will participate in and supervise lab activities for the scale up runs of all the pipeline projects for gene therapy including pilot runs for toxicology material generation. The ability to manage a flexible workforce efficiently, project material needs, maintain operational excellence, meet project timelines and influence other stakeholders across the development organization is a key responsibility of this position. The candidate will also play a significant role in the assessment and development of new innovative technologies and enhance fundamental scale up understanding that will be crucial for successful scale up of our processes.|
1) Lead cell culture and purification operations and oversee all aspects of lab operations including but not limited to run performance, innovation, and safety
2) Manage scale up project requirements in coordination with vendors and supporting line functions to timelines
3) Assist investigation of process and product differences across scales including real-time trouble-shooting during manufacturing campaigns
4) Coordinate with other departments especially CMC team for run scheduling and to align the expectation with goal. Support regulatory filings.
5) Design and contribute to executing laboratory operations with minimal guidance
6) Serve as important liaison to external partners & CMOs on process transfer, operation alignment, robustness evaluation, and facility fit
7) Stay current with industry trends and technical development and focus on continuous process improvement. Actively involved in industrial discussion and collaboration.
8) Evaluate/develop new technologies and drive for implementation at manufacturing scale through cross-functional collaborations
9) Will supervise junior staff to advance project goals and batch schedules
10) Support budget planning and execution in pilot scale lab
|Location||Cambridge, MA, US|
|Job Category||Technical Development|
|Qualifications||1) Hands on experience with single use pilot scale bioreactor (SUB) and downstream purification operations preferred|
2) Experience with the generation and/or purification of viral vector products
3) Deep understanding of bioreactor engineering/characterization and equipment
4) Deep understanding of filtration and chromatography characterization and equipment
5) Expertise in bioprocess scale-up/scale down as well as large scale trouble-shooting
6) Demonstrated ability to drive technology innovation and implementation
7) Demonstrated ability to manage multiple operational and/or scientific projects/activities
8) Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
9) Demonstrated people management by supporting career development and managing team dynamics
|Education||Bioengineering, Biochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, or related discipline:|
• Ph.D. with 0-3 years’ experience, or
• M.S. with 6+ years’ experience in the Biotech / Biopharm industry
• Other relevant expertise in Science or Engineering will be considered.
|About Biogen||Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) is a biotechnology leader that discovers, develops and delivers innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative and rare diseases. Patients worldwide benefit every day from our medicines for multiple sclerosis (MS) and hemophilia. |
Founded in 1978, Biogen is one of the world’s oldest independent biotechnology companies. Our development pipeline is focused on areas of high unmet medical need, as we pursue new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with few or no treatment options. These include programs for Alzheimer’s Disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson’s disease, spinal muscular atrophy and neuropathic pain amongst others.
With more than 7,000 people worldwide, Biogen is truly a global organization. We are headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is home to our research operations. Our international operations are based in Zug, Switzerland and we have world-class manufacturing facilities in North Carolina and Denmark. We offer therapies globally through direct affiliate presence in 30 countries and a network of distribution partners in over 50 additional countries.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Biogen is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.
Please be advised that all legitimate correspondence from a Biogen employee will come from "@biogen.com" email accounts.
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Biochemistry, Facilities, Toxicology, Biomedical Engineering, Biotech, Operations, Science, Engineering