Sr. Director/Exec Director, Corp Counsel (Business Development) - United States
- This position is responsible for providing legal services and counsel regarding business development activities, including in-licensing and collaboration agreements, out-licensing agreements, joint venture and other strategic transaction agreements.
- In addition, this position will provide assistance with other corporate legal functions including general commercial contracting and governance and securities counseling.
- Works closely with internal clients at all levels of the organization (including scientific and business leaders) in connection with research collaborations, licensing arrangements, and other strategic transactions.
- Provides legal and strategic advice with respect to finance and business development activities and strategic external arrangements.
- Supports existing collaborations and serves as an advisor as required.
- Works closely with the intellectual property group to ensure proper protection of intellectual property assets.
- Drafts and reviews terms sheets and agreements.
- Assists with drafting of commercial contracts, including consulting agreements, CDAs, vendor agreements and the like.
- Assists with securities offerings and financings involving equity, debt and convertible securities.
- Assists with the preparation and review of forms and filings and advises on corporate governance and disclosure matters.
- Oversees and coordinates relevant legal matters handled by outside counsel.
- Develops a thorough understanding of, and familiarity with, the company's business, its people, products, markets, facilities, customers and competitors and utilizes that knowledge in providing guidance and counsel to internal clients.
- Establishes a rapport and a working relationship with business unit management and personnel at all levels.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school, as well as membership in good standing of at least one state bar.
- At least 10 years of related experience, with at least 5 years in-house legal experience and proven track record in business development.
- Demonstration of solid organization skills, ability to think strategically, and sound judgment in the analysis of complex business issues and deriving conclusions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to communicate concisely to clients, to integrate legal and business knowledge and to provide balanced advice regarding risks.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and to flourish and maintain a sense of humor in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of cross-functional team.
- Willingness to take on any task?no task too big or too small?as the circumstances may dictate.