Specialist, Linux-Unix Engineering Job - Singapore
We have an opportunity available for a Linux/Unix Engineer to join our IT team. The role is responsible for the enhancement and engineering of the enterprise Linux/Unix platform that supports MSD’s core business. The Linux/Unix Engineer acts as the ultimate source of technical knowledge about the platform, and influences its direction as a technical architect.
The nature of the position requires strong technical, oral and written communication skills. The incumbent will ensure that all system documentation, tools and processes are applied in accordance with company policies.
We’re looking for a mature, technically skilled person, who can come up with ideas, own them, and see them come to life in our IT infrastructure.
- Independently identify, evaluate and provide engineering for technologies within the Linux/Unix platform (OS, monitoring, backup, server management, patching, security compliance, etc). Identify, develop, test and deploy components of the Linux/Unix infrastructure.
- Influence where the Linux/Unix platform in MSD is heading, what technologies and SW/HW standards we’ll deploy.
- Plan and execute proof of concept work for new technologies, see them through the whole cycle from idea to implementation.
- Lead projects and teams focused on engineering work. Plan work, deliver to timelines, act independently and proactively.
- Participate in researching and evaluating internal technology resources vs. external options, and provide input on technical solution alternatives.
- Drive platform roadmaps with the development of new engineering releases for Linux/Unix software and hardware standards.
- Drive process improvements through the use of automation.
- Drive innovation with thought leadership and technical expertise.
- Act as a Linux/Unix expert and offer help and advice to colleagues from various other teams.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- MSc Degree or BSc Degree or equivalent with relevant experience in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, Math, or equivalent experience.
- 7-10 years technical experience in enterprise Linux/Unix infrastructure
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Operating System versions (5.x, 6.x, 7.x)
- HP-UX experience preferred; AIX and Solaris experience welcome
- Experience deploying, patching and maintaining Linux/Unix operating systems in an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of networking protocols and components
- Linux/Unix server OS & Kernel configuration, testing and troubleshooting.
- Creating technical roadmaps, patching and security strategies, developing security and auditing tools.
- Server hardware design and configuration, OS and core server application configurations, systems capacity planning, maintenance and deep technical troubleshooting.
- Relevant Experience and working knowledge in the following
- Experience with storage area networks (SAN), backup and monitoring
- Experience with converged and hyperconverged infrastructure is an advantage
- Automation of server provisioning, decommissioning and other support tasks. Use of VMWare vRealize automation tool or similar software.
- Strong in scripting in at least one language – shell, python, perl, c++.
- Understanding of project planning mechanisms (i.e., project scope, labor and resource cost estimates) and scheduling.
- Working knowledge of how engineering functions collaborate and integrate holistically with other IT areas to contribute to seamless delivery of business-focused technical solutions.
- Strong analytical and reasoning abilities. Mindset that enables solving complex problems in a fast-paced environment while delivering on service promises. Able to develop and adapt business processes after evaluating multiple solutions
- Able to maintain both a short and long term vision around business trends and strategies
- Able to contribute to the development of current and future service delivery offerings to support the overall client relationship needs
- Exercises sound, prudent and ethical business judgment at all times
- Understands cross-cultural business practices; demonstrates a sensitivity and awareness to other people and culture. Possess ability to build rapport with a diverse workforce in multicultural settings
- Possess strong negotiation skills; demonstrated ability to influence and negotiate required
- Able to manage multiple initiatives at one time. Comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with normal activities in a demanding, fast-paced work environment
- Can think big picture and also demonstrate an ability to be detail oriented; anticipate and know when to get into the details
- Tactical, as well as strategic thinking and creative problem solving
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Good negotiation and presentation skills
- Fluent in English, in both oral and written communication
- Understanding and effectively communicating across multiple languages and cultures is an advantage.
Job: Engineering, Development & Integration Job Title:Spclst, Eng., Dev. & Integration
Primary Location: APAC-SG-Singapore-Singapore
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:MSD
Job Segment: Linux, Unix, System Administrator, Developer, Computer Science, Technology