Specialist, Estimator / Planner Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Specialist, Estimator/Planner will be responsible for developing, validating and defending cost estimates for capital and expense projects throughout Merck's research, manufacturing, and corporate network of sites, under the guidance of a Senior Estimator / Planner. The successful candidate must have technical skills in the areas engineering and/or project management, including estimating, planning, and benchmarking. The candidate will require strong communication skills, able to work as a member of multi-discipline teams. The main roles and responsibilities in each area are as follows:
- Support the planning and estimating effort for capital and expense projects and studies, working with multi-discipline project teams.
- Gather and validate estimate information from multiple groups both within and outside the company.
- Prepare Total Installed Cost (TIC) estimates, including conceptual schedules and staffing plans, for concept and siting studies.
- Support the Long Range capital planning process, with estimating cost, schedule and spending data.
- Support project benchmarking efforts, both internally and through external relationships (AACE, CII, IPA).
- Support the front end planning and funding process (schedule, resources, etc...).
- Lead / facilitate estimate risk analysis sessions.
- Review and validate subcontractor's estimates.
- In collaboration with the Cost Engineering group, set up project budgets per a standard WBS, and assist in developing contractor bid package cost tabulations.
- Support maintenance of the department cost database, estimate assemblies, and parametric models.
- In collaboration with the Procurement group, evaluate current market conditions.
- Support preparation of project return cost data and close-out reports
- BS in Engineering in Chemical, Mechanical or Civil
- A minimum of 2 years of estimating or project management experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work and interface with, cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of estimating methods and data (i.e. factored and detailed estimates, Means, Compass International).
- Knowledge of spreadsheet and/or database software.
- Strong communication and analytical skills.
- Pharmaceutical owner/operator experience
- Knowledge of cost estimating software systems; Hardollar or Timberline
- Knowledge of industry standard project control systems, with knowledge of SAP
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Chemical Engineering
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Engineering
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth, NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Pharmaceutical, ERP, Procurement, Database, Science, Technology, Research, Operations