Sourcing Manager, R&D Procurement Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Sourcing Manager, R&D Procurement will utilize the Sourcing Management Process (SMP) for strategic analysis of suppliers, supply markets and supply chains within the Clinical CRO Services team of Clinical Development Procurement. Categories include, but are not limited to, clinical research organizations (CROs), academic research organizations (AROs), academic/government collaborations, rater trainings, clinical adjudications, central laboratories, reference laboratories and specialty providers. The selected candidate will work to provide high quality strategic analysis and insight of suppliers and markets. In addition, the specialist will prepare and conduct pre-negotiation planning, live negotiations as well as leading and conducting RFIs, RFPs, quotation analysis, and cost modeling.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Supplier and Supply Market Analysis – conduct detailed supplier and supply market analysis, including changes in technology and pricing trends, with a view to providing deep and meaningful insights to Sourcing Management teams.
- Cost Modeling – construct detailed cost models/purchase price analysis of services that are supplied to Merck; this may include supplier visits to create a complete understanding of the cost structure of suppliers. Helps drives the control, containment and reduction of costs for Merck Research Laboratories (MRL).
- Strategic Analysis – conduct various forms of project analysis which turns the information into insightful, well-structured breakthrough options and opportunities.
- Negotiation Planning and Execution – create detailed pre-negotiation plans. Lead and participate in negotiation
sessions with suppliers and conduct post negotiation debriefs and follow through plans.
- Sourcing – create and execute RFIs/RFPs/RFQs together with subsequent structured information analysis using SAP, e-sourcing, MS Office and other computer based systems.
- Reverse Auctions –prepare, lead, conduct and implement Reverse Auctions on selected leverage categories.
- Contract Management – prepare, finesse and implement appropriate forms of contract and commitment with suppliers.
- Supplier Performance Management –in partnership with internal key stakeholders, implements Global Procurement’s Supplier Performance Management Process (SPMP) with key suppliers to build relationships with suppliers; foster innovation; and, monitor, report, manage and continuously improve supplier performance against business requirements (governance, scorecarding, etc).
- Category Team Membership – be an active member of one or more categories to develop broad subject matter knowledge related to clinical research
- Sharing of Learning – the incumbent will be expected to generate world-class sourcing deliverables and share best practices to colleagues throughout Procurement.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BA/BS, in Science, Business or Finance;
- MBA preferred, but not required.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Requires at least 5 years of sourcing-related experience in the pharmaceutical or related industries in roles such as, but not limited to, R&D Sourcing, finance, contract management, and/or proposal development.
- An in-depth understanding of the drug development process and managing business relationships both internally and externally is required.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Technical Procurement
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-West Point, NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Procurement, ERP, Pharmaceutical, Manager, Operations, Technology, Science, Management, Research