Sourcing Manager, Biologics & Vaccines - R&D Procurement Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Sourcing Manager, Biologics & Vaccines - R&D Procurement manages the sourcing projects and vendor relationships within the Biologics & Vaccines space and reports to the Associate Director of Biologics & Vaccine Procurement. This position will take an active role in the development of procurement sourcing strategy, Global Category Management, contract management, risk management, stakeholder management, and supplier value management. The role will develop deep category understanding, maintain strong relationships internally with key leaders across the Research Procurement function, and will lead/shape the relationships with key strategic suppliers ensuing alignment between business strategy and sourcing/operational execution.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership - As a key project leader, responsible to develop and implement sourcing strategy and ensure alignment, compliance and delivery of required business performance.
- Procurement Leadership – Support the leadership, strategy and policy for the function, building a high performance engagement model with the business and regions.
- Process - Realize sourcing management, supplier value management, risk management, supplier diversity, and SAP as core sustainable processes and enablers of delivery.
- Performance - Drive competitive sourcing events end-to-end (Opportunity Assessment, RFIs, RFPs, RFQs, and operational implementation) and support vendor selection, commercial negotiation, and market awareness.
- Relationships - Build outstanding relationships with stakeholders whom are oriented to meeting their business needs.
- Change Management - Adopt high quality change practices with customers and stakeholders, building and implementing a sustainable organization. Be a personal exemplar of the Merck Leadership standards.
- Global Reach - Ensure that the adopted approach is aligned with, and supports, Merck global procurement strategy, Global Category Management, and global stakeholders.
- Diversity - Actively support diversity, both within Merck as well as expanding relationships and spend with Diverse Suppliers.
- Supplier Value Management - Implement Supplier Value Management with the key suppliers in this category to foster innovation, manage supplier performance, establish a Governance Model, and ensure continuous improvement.
- Contract development and management – Strong understanding of contracting building, negotiation, terms, and ongoing management of all contractual agreements.
- Implement organized and collaborative SMP(Sourcing Management Process) approaches to leverage targeted spend across locations with select suppliers that are best suited to create knowledge and value in the customer-supplier interface.
- Support and implement strategies by focusing on specific areas of spend and conduct in depth market analysis to fully leverage the potential of each category across the entire organization.
- Create, develop and maintain strong relationships with Business Partners such as Finance, Legal, Quality etc. to ensure strong alignment with company’s goals and principles while managing SMP initiatives.
- Create positive relationships with stakeholders through the appropriate management of their expectations and agreed objectives.
- Create closer, more collaborative relationships with key suppliers in order to uncover and realize new value and reduce risk of failure.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Engineering or Sciences
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 3 years of Procurement or related operations or scientific experience
- Strong data analytics in Excel (including but not limited to pivot tables and vlookup)
- Exceptional organizational ability in an ambiguous and constantly changing/evolving environment
- Prior negotiation and contract management experience
- Demonstrated project management experience
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- MBA or Graduate degree a plus
- Well-grounded understanding of ERP systems, with SAP being highly preferred
- Lean or Six Sigma certification/experience
- Procurement background within R&D preferred
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Services Procurement
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-West Point, NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Procurement, ERP, Scientist, SAP, Operations, Technology, Research, Science