- The Sales Representative, SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) is responsible for driving patient identification and market development for SMA by creating territory, account and customer strategies to achieve area sales, market share and profit targets for their territory.
- To achieve this, the Sales Representative SMA needs to maintain effective relationships with physicians and treatment clinics to properly educate on Nusinersen and help remove barriers to facilitate healthcare provider decisions.
- The Sales Representative SMA is accountable for the success of Nusinersen in the assigned accounts by working in partnership with marketing, logistics support, internal/field market access and medical colleagues to create value for patients and other relevant stakeholders within the accounts to ensure long-term growth in alignment with company's code of conduct and the strictest ethical, compliance and legal standards.
Achieving commercial goals
- Works toward achievement of sales goals and sales responsibility in respective territory set by the organization.
- Drive patient identification and market development for SMA by building and executing against a territory strategy and account specific plans.
- Continuously appraise sales opportunities within markets and accounts to maintain and grow their business.
- Is able to effectively prioritize time, activities, and resources to optimize accounts with the most sales potential.
- Builds and maintains important relationships with key decision makers involved in SMA care delivery and decision making and can educate and promote company services (as relevant to the market).
- Acts as an ambassador for company commitment to science, innovation and rare disease.
- Develops and executes an annual territory business plan that includes prioritized account goals, quantitative and qualitative approach to any negotiations needed to ensure company success in its SMA sales objectives.
- Provides analysis of business and patient access threats and opportunities at relevant stages of the patient journey within the prioritized accounts, based on customer insights, health insurers' purchasing guidelines and practices, and competitive actions.
- Provide input on how drivers and barriers to access can be optimally addressed in to actionable objectives.
- Builds and maintains relationship with HCPs by maximizing their time through pre-call planning, leveraging insights to tailor call plan, and conducts post call analysis to continually refine and enhance their approach
Leveraging and coordinating resources
- Builds proactively effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders; can drive agreement / decisions from multiple stakeholders; can read people's emotions and flex communication style.
- Can adjust their approach based on different stakeholder needs, concerns, or audience member to drive alignment and meet their work goals.
- Executes programs, in-services, and lunch n` learns for their territory.
- Sets their own travel schedule and call plan on a daily/weekly basis to ensure adequate coverage for all key accounts.
- Supports Regional Lead and colleagues in the analysis and classification of key accounts based on predefined criteria within the assigned territory and in the identification of potential key customer.
- Identifying the patient/doctor landscape, learning about rare diseases and specifically SMA treatment decisions. Understanding the regulatory and compliance requirements and ensuring the right guardrails in place
- Develops and executes an effective business plan for maximizing territory sales ensuring that stakeholder needs are being met. Cross functionally with field market access and field medical
- Ensure logistics are in place to administer Nusinersen
- Pre-launch drive awareness of Standards of Care and company commitment in rare disease
- Builds own individual account plans and lead cross functional creation of strategic account/regional plans on how to approach customers, achieve goals and maintain relationships to maximize Nusinersen use
- Working across a large cross-functional team to develop SMA centers of excellence (e.g. developing work processes &communication streams) to ensure patients have access to Nusinersen and troubleshoot any challenges.
- Provide information to management to help with identifying, segmenting, profiling and defining national key accounts - e.g. Hospitals, purchase groups, guideline providers etc.
- Build intimate knowledge of the accounts stakeholders’ priorities and decision making processes (patient identification/selection, choice of therapeutic options, budget allocation, and care coordination, business needs, drivers and barriers for Nusinersen utilization
- Building up, strengthening and ensuring a long-term customer relationship with the accounts’ key stakeholders responsible for SMA care delivery and funding of treatment, ensuring favorable environment for Nusinersen via regular dialog with key stakeholder
- Partner with and pull resources from local SMA Team to support territory activities and to provide the accounts with expert support as needed
- A minimum of 4 years in a similar function in the pharmaceutical industry, including experience in the Spanish specific commercial environment
- Track record of successful commercial activities for biopharmaceutical products in Spain
- Must have experience working in a sales team that was a part of a multifunctional team to address patient/caregiver needs, ideally in leading cross functional field team
- Preferred experience in rare diseases
- High degree of learning agility to learn/understand Nusinersen administration and neuromuscular diseases
- Must be comfortable spending 60% of their time traveling
- Good understanding and experience of several of the commercial functions; marketing strategy, sales effectiveness, work with thought leaders, innovative commercial approaches
- Deep understanding and track record of commercial success and stakeholder management, and a good understanding of commercial strategies and tools needed locally
- High level of integrity and sense of business partnership
- Strong drive for results
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Precise and accurate working style
- Strong Influence/persuasion/negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Cross functional leadership ability and a strong collaborator and ability to create stakeholder trust at different levels in the Health Care syste
- Must have strong command of the English language in addition to fluency in local market language
- Bachelor/Master degree strongly preferred
- Through cutting-edge science and medicine, our company discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Our company is a pioneer in biotechnology and today the Company has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis (MS), has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Our company also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
- Our global organization of nearly 7,000 employees is committed to a single mission: making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with few or no treatment options.
- Our company was founded in 1978 and today serves patients in nearly 70 countries.
- We aspire to have the greatest impact on patients and science of any biotechnology company in the history of our industry.
- To us, that means creating novel medicines that benefit individuals and society, and bringing new scientific understanding to diseases for which there are no adequate treatments.
- For nearly two decades our company has led in the research and development of new therapies to treat MS, including the most prescribed oral treatment in the world.
- Now our research is driving revolutionary new MS treatments with the goal of reversing or even repairing damage caused by the disease.
- We are now applying our neurological expertise to solve some of most challenging and complex diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and ALS.
- As we uncover new insights into human biology, our company is employing cutting-edge technologies to discover potential treatments for rare and genetic disorders.
- Our company is revolutionizing biologic manufacturing, developing the industry’s most advanced plants and processes.
- This expertise is used to produce both original innovative therapies and bio similar that expand patient access to lower-cost medicines.
Our Corporate Citizenship
- The same intellectual discipline and passion that drives our science is reflected in our corporate citizenship, environmental sustainability, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- As a company, we are focused on improving science education and limiting the impact of our company on the environment.