- Our company is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defense, aerospace and rail sectors.
- We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
- With over 70 years’ experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilize the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
- The Systems and Safety team are responsible for the deployment of functional safety, systems engineering and cyber security expertise and tools across the business to deliver internal and external projects.
- These projects can involve a combination of engineering, consultancy, analysis, training, audit and assessment either directly to external customers or for internal product developments.
- Our portfolio covers all domains of land-based transportation including automotive, commercial, off-highway and defense applications.
- With customers ranging from global vehicle manufacturers down to part-level suppliers, we take a pragmatic approach to scaling international standards and good engineering practice to an appropriate level for the individual client.
- We require a contractor to take responsibility and accountability for systems engineering within projects, covering the design, development, qualification, manufacture and in-service support aspects of the product life-cycle.
- User and systems level requirements elicitation, capture and management using DOORS
- Systems level architectural design including specification and management of interfaces
- Managing technical reviews
- Concepts of linking and traceability of requirements to design and managing compliance
- Preparing or contributing to design verification plan and report activities (DVP&R)
- Desirable experience for this role would include:
- Model based system design (UML, SysML) using Rhapsody or other modelling tools
- Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (dFMEA)Other failure mode avoidance and engineering quality principles
- Eliciting and capturing stakeholder requirements
- Deriving system specification and sub-system requirements
- Architectural design of electronic, electrical and software based systems, embodying design for safety
- Development of verification plans
- Analysing and reporting on verification activities
- Technical project management / technical decision making to deliver on time, to cost and quality
- Reviewing and assessing embedded systems design against perfomance, safety requirements and good practice
- Supporting sub-system developers
- Supporting simulation and sizing activities
- Optimising design using technical trade decisions, considering Supportability, Cost and Design for Manufacture
- Good first degree (minimum 2:1) in electrical/electronic engineering, systems engineering or a relevant related discipline
Desirable qualifications for this role would include:
- Higher degree (relevant M.Sc or Ph.D)
- Corporate membership of an engineering institution including Chartered Engineer qualification
- Be capable of delivering a high standard of technical writing
- Be capable of presenting technical information confidently to customers and other stakeholders
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budgetary constraints
- Have a breadth of whole vehicle system design and specialist domain subject knowledge
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic
- Have good interpersonal skills – a consensus-builder, expressive but not confrontational
- Be able to make justified technical decisions based on solid rationale
- Be willing to travel and work flexibly:
- Be prepared to engage in the process for and achieve security clearance