Senior Systems Engineer (Failure Mode Avoidance expert) - United Kingdom
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defense, aerospace and rail sectors.
- We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
- With over 70 years’ experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
- The Systems and Safety team are responsible for the deployment of functional safety, systems engineering and cyber security expertise and tools across the business to deliver internal and external projects.
- These projects can involve a combination of engineering, consultancy, analysis, training, audit and assessment either directly to external customers or for internal product developments.
- Our portfolio covers all domains of land-based transportation including automotive, commercial, off-highway and defense applications.
- With customers ranging from global vehicle manufacturers down to part-level suppliers, we take a pragmatic approach to scaling international standards and good engineering practice to an appropriate level for the individual client.
- User and systems level requirements elicitation, capture and management.
- Systems level architectural design.
- Concepts of linking and traceability of requirements to design.
- Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (dFMEA).
- Preparing or contributing to design verification plan and report activities (DVP&R).
Desirable experience for this role would include:
- Requirements management tools (such as DOORS).
- Model based system design (UML, SysML) using Rhapsody or other modelling tools.
- Hybrid electric vehicle architectures and control.
- Design of systems at hazardous voltages.
- HiL, SiL, MiL based verification techniques.
- Autosar and/or distributed architectures.
- Other failure mode avoidance and engineering quality principles.
- Engineering process development and practical implementation.
- Exposure to process assessment schemes e.g. CMMI, ISO 15504 (SPICE).
- Trained as internal (or external) auditor.
- Developing and delivering training courses.
- A track record of delivering projects to JLR’s TCDS process (or similar) will be seen as highly desirable.
- Be capable of delivering a high standard of technical writing.
- Be capable of presenting technical information confidently to customers.
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budgetary constraints.
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic.
- Have good interpersonal skills – a consensus-builder, expressive but not confrontational.
- Be able to make justified technical decisions based on solid rationale.
- Be capable of technically managing a small group of engineers, tracking progress and budget spend.
- Good first degree (minimum 2:1) in electrical/electronic engineering, systems engineering or a relevant related discipline.
Desirable qualifications for this role would include:
- Higher degree (relevant M.Sc or Ph.D)
- Corporate membership of an engineering institution including Chartered Engineer qualification