Senior Statistical Programmer - Oncology Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Senior Programmer, Clinical Trial Analysis and Reporting supports statistical programming activities for late stage drug/vaccine clinical development projects. This may include leadership of one or more projects. Accountability predominantly includes the development and execution of statistical analysis and reporting deliverables (e.g. safety and efficacy analysis datasets, tables, listings, figures), the span of which range from individual clinical trials to world-wide regulatory application submissions and post marketing support.
The incumbant is responsible for the design and maintenance of statistical databases that support multiple stakeholder groups which include clinical development, outcomes research and safety evaluation.
The position is a key collaborator with statistics and other project stakeholders in ensuring that project plans are executed efficiently with timely and high quality deliverables.
For assigned projects the position serves as the statistical programming point of contact and knowledge holder through the entire product lifecycle.
Key areas of focus include:
- The assurance of deliverable quality and process compliance.
- Effective deliverable development utilizing global and TA standards that optimize analysis and reporting and promote a strategic knowledge-base data model
- maintaining and managing a project plan including resource forecasting.
- Coordinating the activities of a global programming team that includes outsource provider staff.
- Membership on departmental strategic initiative project teams such as new statistical computing platform evaluation and development.
Education Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's or Master's (preferred) Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Biological Sciences, Engineering, or related field.
- BS plus 5-9 years or MS plus 3-7 years SAS programming experience in a clinical trial environment
- Knowledge and experience in developing analysis and reporting statistical programming deliverables (datasets, statistical analyses, report tables, and graphics) using global and TA standards and according to quality, compliance and timeliness requirements.
- Expertise in SAS and clinical trial programming including data steps, procedures, SAS/MACRO, SAS/GRAPH; systems and database expertise.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis methods and clinical data management concepts.
- A project leader; completes programming tasks independently at a project level. Follows program-wide standards and suggests/develops additional standards; ability to engage key stakeholders.
- Ability to comprehend statistical analysis plans which may describe statistical methodology to be programmed; Understanding of statistical terminology and concepts; Designs and develops complex programming algorithms;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with a demonstrated history of teamwork and collaboration; deals well with change and seamlessly assimilates to new projects and stakeholders.
- Strategic thinking - ability to turn strategy into tactical activities; design of statistical databases with the end in mind that optimize analysis and reporting and leverage departmental standards and industry best-practices.
- Experience in CDISC and ADaM standards.
- Experience ensuring process compliance and deliverable quality.
- Ability to anticipate stakeholder requirements.
- Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrated success in the assurance of deliverable quality and process compliance. Strong working knowledge of reporting processes (SOPs) and software development life-cycle (SDLC).
- US and/or worldwide drug or vaccine regulatory application submission experience including the development of electronic submission deliverables.
- Experience assuring programming consistency across protocols and projects, directing the program development effort of other programmers; experience as a programming mentor.
- Ability and interest to work across cultures and geographies.
- Ability to complete statistical programming deliverables through the use of global outsource partner programming staff.
- Experience developing and managing a project plan using Microsoft Project or similar package.
- Active in professional societies.
- Experience in process improvement.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Statistical Programming
Job Title:Sr. Scientist, Stat. Programming
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Oncology, Developer, Statistics, Programmer, Law, Healthcare, Technology, Data, Legal