Senior Specialist – Learning and Development Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Senior Learning Specialist supports and facilitates learning and development activities for a defined client base within an operation or function. The role supports Learning Leads and Learning Specialists in the execution of the L&D strategy through consulting and delivery on appropriate learning solutions. S/he interacts with and influences low to mid-level managers to understand business goals and performance needs, develops and executes learning plans aligned to the business strategy, and routinely engages with key stakeholders to ensure learning solutions continue to support and positively drive desired outcomes. Success in this role depends on the candidate’s ability to collaborate with leaders in the business, Learning Leads, and other Learning Specialists, as well as work cross-functionally to act as a partner and point of contact for the business’ performance needs and communicate them to support design and delivery of learning solutions.
- Effectively establish, deepen and sustain key relationships with low to mid-level managers to understand their business needs and related performance gaps, provide oversight and analysis when defining requirements, and demonstrate an understanding of processes and methodology in order to provide appropriate learning solutions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define desired performance outcomes; provide feedback and coaching on issues related to learning programs and policies
- Identify performance needs and gaps and facilitate delivery of learning solutions to the business, when appropriate.
- Deliver training and/or support local Subject Matter Expertize providing training, as needed
- Monitor, analyze, interpret, and report internal trends; make recommendations for learning solutions, as appropriate.
- Manage the Learning Project portfolio
- Remain current on learning and development related tools, techniques, strategies and practices in order to provide relevant, informed consultative advice to clients; share leading learning practices with teams and stakeholders
- Ensure successful learning outcomes by supporting the identification and translation of the client’s learning needs into a defined learning strategy and implemented solutions. Report timely feedback on learning effectiveness to the business and communicate suggestions for improvement for sustainability.
- Review interim/unplanned learning activities and requests; make appropriate recommendations
- Required: Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred: Master’s degree
- Six (6) years of related experience and Three (3) years of experience facilitating / delivering learning solutions
- Project/Portfolio Leadership: Demonstrated skill in applying approaches, tools, and techniques to gain the cooperation and support of others; ability to lead by example and foster collaborative relationships
- Interpersonal Relationships: Demonstrated skill in applying approaches, tools, and techniques for working with individuals and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner
- Oral and Written Communications: Ability to express oneself to provide information to others effectively and in a succinct manner; advanced verbal, written, and presentation abilities; ability to ask thoughtful questions to gain insights, listen, and understand other perspectives
- Decision Making and Critical Thinking: Ability to use a broad range of methods, assumptions, frameworks, and perspectives when solving problems and making decisions. Ability to make problems visible, proposes viable solutions, and capitalizes on opportunities that occur by chance or by self-creation.
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic: Project planning and management experience, including the ability to contribute to operational (short term), tactical (1–2 years), and strategic (3-5 years) planning in support of the business plan.
- Adult Learning: Theory and Practice: Experience in applying concepts and practices of adult learning to meet the dynamic needs of the business
- Learning Needs Analysis: Experience in assessing competency gaps and identifying what people need to learn for successful individual and organizational performance
- Training Delivery: Ability to effectively deliver or facilitate training in face-to-face and instructor led sessions
- Influencing: Ability to partner, collaborate, and impact decisions within and outside the organization
- Knowledge and ability; to use industry and organization standards, procedures, and policies relevant to training compliance.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Technical Training
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Learning & Development
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Training, Consulting, Learning, Animal Health, Education, Technology, Human Resources, Veterinary