Senior Specialist, Account Manager-Purchased Based Customers Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Sr. Specialist, Purchased Based Account Management role will support the current business needs of the Pharmacy, Distribution, Specialty Markets, Hospital and Federal team while gaining experience with external customers and internal partners/stakeholders within Merck. Within Merck, the P3 role will have significant interaction with field based Account Executives and Directors, Brand and Payer Marketing, Legal, Finance, Manufacturing, Order Management and MMD Supply Chain.
This role joins a team responsible for the account management of our Pharmacy, Distribution, Specialty Markets, Federal, IDN, and GPO outpatient accounts that span multiple states and multi-regional operating groups. As such, these accounts have the ability to significantly influence local and national sales performance (both gross and net). These accounts represent a rapidly growing portion of Merck sales such that a change to the business relationship could represent a significant impact on Merck business.
This role will be responsible for building trust and credibility with their assigned internal and external customers through strong interpersonal relationships, in depth knowledge of Merck and our customers, and the objectives, business and environmental issues impacting the both Merck and the customer. Primary responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
- Reactively drive net sales and market share targets for assigned customers/brands.
- Monitor and measure contract effectiveness for contracted products and suggest alternatives to improve performance for contracted brands.
- Execute pull through programs and utilize resources that support and enable desired customer behaviors (awareness, advocacy, acquisition, activation, and adherence) and drive appropriate utilization.
- Collaborate with Customer Manager, Account Executive or National Account Director to manage the business relationship between Merck and assigned accounts
- Support assigned account teams, including development of strategic, tactical account plans, and segment initiatives. This may include the implementation and negotiation of contracting initiatives, achievement of profitable formulary status for Merck products, evaluation/review of account performance and broader segment trends to optimize net sales for Merck products procured by customers, and balance/improve customer performance vs. their objectives.
- Execute non-retail contracts and distribution channel strategies and stocking incentive programs by developing and gaining approvals for associated launch communications, including pricing program updates, HDMA forms, Stocking Incentive Program letters, Announcement Letters, etc. Provides oversight and control to contract, notification and administration processes through collaboration with team of established Customer Managers, legal and finance partners.
- Monitor and communicate industry trends and customer insights to inform and align segment and customer strategies and individual strategic account plans.
- Participate and contribute as extended team member in departmental transformational or strategic initiatives
- Implement contracting strategies by drafting, gaining Legal approval for, and executing all contracts/agreements between Merck, customers and vendors, including: (1) distribution agreements with full line wholesalers, specialty distributors, and physician distributors, (2) contracts with retail and specialty pharmacies, and (3) FMVs, MSAs, and SOWs needed to execute the above, (3) contracts with group purchasing organizations or integrated delivery neworks, (4) Federal government bids/contracts. In addition, manage budgets and relationships with pharmacy marketing vendors used for any initiatives.
- Manage contract and supply chain-related issues for in-line pharmaceuticals and vaccines (including diversified brands). Examples include additions to the line (ATLs), deletions to the line (DTLs), product shortages / stockouts, product recalls, pharmacy uptake, contract term changes, etc. Draft and gain approval for communications to internal and external stakeholders that address the issues above.
- Demonstrate operational efficiency by leveraging best practices and facilitating cross-departmental learning and development
- Support and/or manage departmental projects and initiatives (both internally and externally focused) to increase understanding of segments, stakeholders, and issues most relevant to our strategies and tactics.
- Assists with the development and analysis of segment and product-specific business modeling, ROI and Forecasts that help achieve optimal net sales. This role may be tasked with:
- Producing the quarterly discount accrual forecast which informs the annual profit plan and 5yr LROP in coordination with the Customer Manager team, Finance and Brand/Payer Marketing.
- Providing insight into the performance of Merck programs and contracts that are available in the market. This would include the analysis of market trends, potential new product entrants, competitor positioning, customer enrollments and performance, field sales deployments and priorities, modeling offers from a customer perspective and net sales growth.
- Deal / No Deal analysis for new potential discount programs
- Production of management level reporting aimed at tracking our profitable acces goals
- Accountable for a culture of integration and support with Account Executives, Payer and Brand Marketing, and Legal.
- Demonstrate Merck Leadership Behaviors.
- Act as a business owner in the GHH operating environment.
- Maintain alignment to GHH compliance goals and policies.
- BA or BS Degree Required; MBA preferred
- 1+ years’ work experience/relevant internship experience in one or more of the following:
- Account Management
- Demonstrated Leadership skills
- Strong Business Acumen
- Strong Communication skills
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Account Management Generic
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Account Management
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 2
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Account Manager, Purchasing, Field Sales, Pharmacy, Intern, Sales, Finance, Healthcare, Entry Level