Senior Sourcing Specialist, API and Drug Product Manufacturing Category, Global Supplier Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck Animal Health
Merck Animal Health is one of the top Animal Health companies in the world and a division within Merck. We operate with an entrepreneurial spirit and drive close collaboration between research & development, manufacturing and sales & marketing.
Our Mission is to be the leading force in delivering new and valuable animal health products & solutions, thus improving the health of animals.
Our efforts will ensure sustainable quality food supplies, protect public health, and help people and pets enjoy their lives together.
Merck Animal Health continues to provide a broad product range: vaccines, anti-parasitics, anti-infectives, reproduction management, pharmaceutical specialties, and innovative animal health programs (e.g. pet recovery and livestock data management tools)
We have locations in more than 50 countries, but market our products in more than 140 countries. We have a strong network of manufacturing and R&D facilities.
About Animal Health Global Supplier Management (AH-GSM)
AH-GSM is a department within Merck Animal Health.
AH-GSM is an organization of approximately 90 professionals with the common objective of compliant, competitive, and innovative acquisition of goods & services from leading suppliers and partners that deliver a competitive advantage to Merck Animal Health.
AH-GSM manages approximately $1.2B of third party spend through an organizational structure encompassing the global leverage of center-led categories and regional operating resources.
Senior Sourcing Specialist, API and Drug Product Manufacturing Category, Global Supplier Management, Merck Animal Health
As part of the API and Drug Product Category team, the Senior Sourcing Specialist, supports global strategic sourcing to ensure compliant and cost competitive supply of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and drug products for Merck/MSD Animal Health Manufacturing division. Under the guidance of Associate director, the Sr. Specialist plays an important role in the development & execution of sourcing strategies and acts as a primary relationship manager within the assigned set of suppliers responsible for overall supplier relationship management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• People leadership- Expected to lead sourcing projects and influence peers, as appropriate, in the leadership of projects for example, cross-functional team members on a sourcing project team.
• Sourcing Excellence:
• Supports development, recommendation and implementation of sourcing strategies and ensures alignment, compliance and delivery of business requirements/needs.
• As sourcing lead, demonstrates excellence in executing sourcing management process and closely collaborates with Quality, Supply Chain, Technology and Compliance groups during each step of the process.
• Market Knowledge and Insight: Uses thorough market knowledge and data analysis to gain critical insights that drive the selection of Sourcing Strategies and continuous improvement activities.
• Project Management:
• Leads sourcing projects (using an established sourcing management process) to establish sources of supply via market intelligence gathering and analysis, competitive sourcing events (RFIs, RFP/RFQs), costs analyses, strategic analyses, due diligence/compliance assessments, and contract negotiations. Provides commercial support during source change execution phase.
• Proactive Cost Management: Leads development, negotiation, and implementation of cost savings projects and multi-year supply agreements.
• Supplier Relationship Management:
• Leads supplier relationship management in close collaboration with the business stakeholders (at same organizational level or one to two levels above and across manufacturing support functions such Supply Chain Management, Quality Assurance, Technology, Environmental Health and Safety, Finance, Regulatory Affairs, Legal).
• Compliance and Risk Management: Responsible for compliance and risk management with assigned set of external supplier base.
• Contract Negotiation and Management: Responsible to create detailed pre-negotiation plans, to lead and participate any prolonged negotiation sessions with suppliers and to conduct post negotiations debriefs and follow through plans.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) preferably in Engineering, Science, or Business fields
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum five (5) years of combined work experience in strategic sourcing, contract negotiations, business operations and finance - within Human health or Animal health industry
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people from many different disciplines.
- Strategic sourcing experience within pharmaceutical industry (Direct materials) and familiarity with regulatory requirements (cGMPs)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration, negotiation, analytical, and project management skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Post graduate degree in business (MBA), Finance, Engineering or Technical fields
- Experience working with suppliers in Europe and Asia in the pharmaceutical industry
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Technical Procurement
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Madison
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Engineer, Industrial, Category Manager, Risk Management, Engineering, Manufacturing, Retail, Finance