Senior Software Engineer - Battery and Hybrid systems - United Kingdom
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defense, aerospace and rail sectors.
- We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
- With over 70 years’ experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
- The new position is to support continued growth of the xEV and BMS Software Simulations and Modelling team.
The primary role within the team is:
- Advanced software simulation and modelling of electric vehicle propulsion systems, including hybrid control and battery management (BMS) strategies.
- Developing complex BMS and xEV control strategies.
- Supporting the generation of system and sub-system (component) requirements.
- Demonstrable experience in working to full software V-Cycle.
- Producing documentation to a high standard (e.g. design, analysis, results).
- Working with requirements and contributing to requirements capture at system and software level.
- Appreciation of Functional Safety.
- In depth technical knowledge of at least some elements of electric/hybrid vehicle powertrains.
- Domain knowledge of vehicle propulsion batteries (including modelling of cells and battery management strategies).
Desirable experience for this role would include:
- State of art technology awareness – where the market is heading and how this can be fed into the business strategy
- MIL, SIL and HIL validation methods.
- Broad understanding of Electrical and Electronic systems.
- Specific exposure to automotive functional safety (ISO26262).
- Working with configuration management and change management systems.
- Proficiency in C programming.
- Understanding of vehicle control architectures.
- Advanced Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow skills for development of software control strategies and plant models.
- Software modelling of electric vehicle propulsion systems including hybrid powertrain control, ancillary system control and battery management strategies.
- Automotive strategy development through prototype modelling, utilising Matlab / Simulink / Stateflow.
- Developing safety related control systems utilising ISO26262 methodologies.
- Supporting the generation of system and software level requirements.
- Sizing and simulation of xEV drivetrains for proposals.
- Support of other team members during development, integration and test.
- Relevant engineering degree with a minimum of 2:1 (e.g. Electrical / Electronic engineering, systems engineering, automotive engineering, applied mathematics or similar)
- Higher degree (relevant MSc, Eng. D or Ph.D.)
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, able to convey technical content to team members with differing technical abilities
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budget constraints
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic
- Used to working in a team – adopts a collaborative and open working ethos and also demonstrates the ability to perform critical reviews
- Be willing to travel and work flexibly: The job is likely to involve periods of 1 week at a time spent overseas approximately 2 or 3 times per year. The job may also involve extended placements at customer facilities within the UK.
- Be willing to engage in the security clearance process for UK MoD contracts.
- Have a full UK driving license.