Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry - San Diego, CA - United States
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry working together with the Structural Biology & Biophysics team in our San Diego, CA Office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry working on the Structural Biology & Biophysics team, you will be empowered to lead protein production strategies and support drug discovery programs.
The Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry is responsible for designing the protein production strategy, purifying, characterizing and delivering the recombinant soluble and membrane proteins for crystallography, biophysics studies and enzymatic assays to support internal or external drug discovery programs. This individual will work collaboratively and effectively with other molecular biologists, protein chemists, crystallographers and biophysicists in determining methodologies and strategies that best support Takeda’s internal and external drug discovery programs. This incumbent is responsible for maintaining an awareness of current up-to-date literature and all relevant technological developments is required.
- Determine the expression and purification strategies for challenging soluble and membrane (including GPCR) recombinant proteins and design the expression constructs
- Responsible for the purification, characterization, and delivery of assigned recombinant proteins for crystallography, biophysics studies and enzymatic assays in a timely manner.
- Optimizes the constructs, expression and purification process and enhance the recovery yield and the quality of delivery
- Works with the biophysics and enzymology teams to develop and implement biochemical and biophysical assays to measure the stability and functionality of purified membrane and soluble proteins
- Identifies and experimentally customizes properties of purified proteins when necessary
- Routinely communicates with crystallographers, biophysicists and molecular biologists to optimize work flow and increase productivity
- Manages multiple protein purifications and deliveries concurrently when required
- Proactively performs literature research on assigned projects with emphasis in protein expression, purification, activity and any known interacting small molecules
- Proactively seeks solutions when encountering experimental obstacles
- Develops and contributes to company’s intellectual property domain by ways of patents and/or publications
- Maintains prompt data entries into internal database
- May mentor Research Associates.
- Represent own research to senior leadership. Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external conferences.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or related discipline with at least 4 years biochemistry experience in a research and/or development environment with thesis, publication(s), OR MS in life science with minimum 14 years of relevant experience and distinguished publication record, OR BS in life science with minimum16 years of relevant experience and distinguished publication record
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods.
- Has demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science and technical proficiency.
- Strong method development skills and extensive hands-on experience in soluble and membrane protein expression, purification, and characterization
- Proven track record in timely delivery of high quality proteins for wide variety of drug discovery projects, which have been used successfully for crystallization, biophysical and enzymatic assays and compound screen.
- Proven track record of knowledge and expertise in membrane protein chemistry demonstrated through principal authorship in peer-reviewed publication(s) will b a plus
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly motivated and flexible with a positive can-do attitude
- Ability to work in fast-paced, collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems
- Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives
- Primary authorship in peer-reviewed publication(s) on the subject of biochemistry is a plus.
- Working in cold room (4°C)
- Able to lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily work.
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Less than or equal to 5% travel, consisting of one to two relevant scientific meetings and/or trips to meet with collaborators and CROs
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.