Senior Scientist – Neuroscience Medicinal Chemistry, Beerse,
Janssen Research & Development seeks to bring innovative
and effective treatments in five therapeutic areas: neuroscience,
cardiovascular diseases and metabolism, infectious diseases, immunology and
oncology. In these areas, Janssen aims to address and solve unmet medical needs
through the development of small and large molecules, as well as vaccines. The
Janssen campus in Beerse (Belgium) is the largest R&D center for small
molecules globally, with cutting-edge research facilities in which hundreds of
the world’s top researchers work together. It has a successful track record of
over sixty years of drug discovery and development, and is one of the most
important innovation engines of the Janssen group worldwide.
The Neuroscience (NS) Medicinal Chemistry department in
Europe, which includes a satellite research site in Toledo (Spain), is focused
on developing innovative small molecule therapeutics to treat Alzheimer’s disease.
In this endeavor, the chemistry teams work closely with colleagues from the NS
Biology team and with several internal and external partners to progress the
most innovative science and gain access to the latest state-of-the-art
technologies and expertise. To support its research in the field of Alzheimer’s
disease, the NS Medicinal Chemistry department is seeking to recruit new
scientists into medicinal chemistry research positions in Beerse.
The work of the NS Medicinal Chemistry team involves the
design and synthesis of novel compounds as potential drug candidates, as part
of Hit Generation, Hit-to-Lead and Lead Optimization programs. The work will
involve designing and executing challenging multi-step organic synthesis,
compound purification and structure determination, maintaining state-of-the art
scientific knowledge as well as originating and defending novel ideas in new
and on-going projects. The position will also offer the opportunity to examine
and interpret pharmacological data as part of building Structure-Activity
Relationships (SAR) and to optimize drug-like properties towards identifying
high quality drug candidates. Additional responsibilities will include presenting
project results at various project meetings and portfolio stage gate reviews,
contributing towards the development of new research projects collaborating with
other scientific disciplines in the broader discovery organization and working
with external chemistry partners.
• Independently plan and execute multi-step synthesis of complex target molecules adhering to Janssen’s high standards for compound quality, data integrity and health & safety.
• Contribute to the design of new drug candidates for Alzheimer’s disease, based on the critical interpretation of pharmacological, pharmacokinetic and safety data.
• Present progress at project meetings and when necessary to stage gate reviews and governance committees.
• Interact effectively with other discovery partners and play a prominent role in contributing to the scientific decision making process to meet project goals.
• Where appropriate, contribute to establishing and prosecuting high impact collaborations with external partners, covering both synthetic and medicinal chemistry projects.
• Train and supervise more junior staff where applicable.
• Ph.D. degree in Synthetic Organic Chemistry with broad knowledge of the field. Demonstrated experience in complex organic chemistry, especially multi-step synthesis.
• 2-5 Years of medicinal chemistry experience in an industrial setting.
• Track record in progression of projects through the various stages of drug discovery.
• Publication track record in high impact journals, and recommendation by reputed academic and/or industrial supervisors.
• Fluent in English.
• A passion for hands-on science and delivering high quality results in the lab.
• Enthusiastic scientist with can-do mentality that can proactively connect to the Medicinal Chemistry team and other relevant departments, fostering discussion and knowledge exchange.
• Good communication, organizing, and planning skills and the ability to take leadership for and drive decision making in a research project.
• Ability to develop and deliver a presentation on technical data with strong business impact.
• Creative mind that is able to see things from different perspectives and come up with innovative solutions to complex problems. Ability to introduce best practices from previous work experiences into the new team.
• Desire for continuous learning and the ability to identify, evaluate and implement emerging areas of science.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)Job Function