Senior Scientist Functional Genomics Job Boston United States,
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are seeking a scientist with demonstrated experience in functional genomics to join the Genome Sciences team within the Department of Genetics & Pharmacogenomics (GpGx) at MRL Boston. Our mission in GpGx is to leverage human genetics and cutting edge molecular biology technologies to identify and functionally validate novel targets and pathways for therapeutic intervention. The successful candidate will serve as a hands-on experimentalist that applies functional genomic tools, including CRISPR gene editing, to validate human genetic targets identified through genome-wide association studies (GWAS) and Mendelian disease genomics. Additional responsibilities include the application of cell-based assays to elucidate the functional consequences of allelic variation in genetic targets associated with disease phenotypes in the areas of immunology, neuroscience, and cardiometabolic disease. The position requires an individual with a keen attention to detail and the innate sense of urgency necessary for rapid experimental iteration. Given the team-based responsibilities of the position, strong collaboration and communication skills are required.
The responsibilities of the candidate include but are not limited to:
- Working closely with a team of biologists and bioinformaticians to apply functional genomic tools, including CRISPR gene editing, to address key questions about genetic targets and disease pathways
- Development of cell-based assays using a variety of technologies for measuring disease-relevant phenotypes
- Development and use of high-throughput assays to assess the effects of coding and non-coding sequence variation on gene expression and function
- Staying up to date on emerging technologies and applications for genetic target validation.
- Written and verbal communication of study results to project teams, including proposals for further experiments to validate key findings
- Required: PhD degree
- Preferred: Degree Concentration in molecular biology, immunology, genomics.
- An understanding of human genetics and the tools used to identify disease-associated genetic variation
- Extensive hands-on experience with functional genomic tools, including CRISPR gene editing, using in vitro model systems
- Cell-based assays using a variety of technologies for measuring disease-relevant phenotypes
- Genomic technologies including qPCR, and ddPCR (NGS a plus)
- Molecular cloning and gene expression in human cellular systems
- Strong communication, collaboration, including an ability to communicate experiment design, results and conclusions in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience with high-throughput methods for functionalization of genomic loci such as massively parallel reporter assays (MPRA), saturation mutagenesis, complementation assays, and pooled/arrayed CRISPR screening, CRISPRa/i
- Analysis of genome-scale datatypes, including methods for searching, alignment, analysis and visualization
- Experience with genetic manipulation and cell-based assays using primary and iPSC-derived cell types
Our employees are the key to our company s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job Title:Sr. Scientist, Biology-Discovery
Primary Location: NA-US-MA-Boston
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Hazardous Materials: Standard biological and chemical hazards associated with laboratory work
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston
Job Segment: Chemistry, Genetics, Neurology, Biotech, Scientific, Science, Healthcare, Engineering
Find a Job Find Candidates