Senior Scientist – Cardio-Renal, Eye and Metabolic Diseases Job - United States
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
The Cardiometabolic Disease therapeutic area within Discovery Research at Merck is seeking to recruit a Senior Scientist that is highly motivated and with a track record of experience in identifying, validating and advancing drug targets to treat a broad array of cardio-renal, eye and metabolic diseases. However, the most important singular quality we are looking for is a drug hunter that seeks to put patients first as the front and central goal of their research. The location will be the preclinical research laboratories at our new state of the art facility in the South San Francisco Bay Area, where you will be able to participate in a vibrant culture connecting world leading academic and biotech research centers. Beyond local connections, you will also be able to supplement your research activities by taking advantage of the technologies and capabilities of the wider Merck network of sites in Boston, MA as well as NJ and PA.
- The successful candidate will be expected to show a high degree of independence to conduct experiments in the laboratory and provide scientific and strategic input into the target portfolio, preclinical animal models and novel in vitro techniques supporting the programs.
- The individual will also be expected to champion and launch new initiatives and drive innovation.
- The individual may also lead Discovery programs up to entry into preclinical development and participate on early and late development teams, informing on preclinical studies to support product development.
- The individual should be highly self-motivated, possess strong experimental and technical research skills, have strong written and oral communication skills, and be able to work productively in a collaborative and cross functional team environment within and outside of the Merck Research Laboratories.
- Relevant areas of training may include one or more of the following disease areas; heart failure, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, with particular focus on insulin resistance as well as diabetic complications, obesity as well as ocular diseases (spanning from cornea to the retina).
- Required: Ph.D. in Physiology, Pharmacology or related discipline (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Pathology, etc.)
- Experience in one or more of the following disease areas; heart failure, chronic kidney disease, metabolism and metabolic disease - including insulin resistance and diabetic complications, obesity, ocular disease.
- Ophthalmology related work (i.e. in vitro or in vivo)
- Demonstrate aptitude for independent research and innovative thinking/risk taking.
- Ability to present clear and compelling scientific case.
- Experience of cutting edge technologies for investigating human and non-human CMD biology and/or ocular disease, e.g. iPSCs, 3D organoidal cultures, organ on a chip.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Research Science
Job Title:Senior Scientist – Cardio-Renal, Eye and Metabolic Diseases
Primary Location: NA-US-CA-South San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Biochemistry, Cardiac, Ophthalmic, Pathology, Physiology, Science, Healthcare