Senior Scientist, Chemistry Job - United States
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck is currently seeking exceptional chemists for positions within the Discovery Chemistry Department located at our South San Francisco, CA site. The successful candidate will join multidisciplinary, highly collaborative discovery teams to invent novel medicines by applying innovative synthetic chemistry, analytical techniques and data analysis to design and synthesize drug candidates and intermediates.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Act as a leader in the laboratory, executing on program and chemistry strategy
- Provide scientific mentoring and technical training of team members
- Develop and utilize innovative synthetic and medicinal chemistry problem solving skills coupled with analysis of diverse data sets to build structure-activity relationships
- Design, synthesize, purify and characterize drug candidates in target validation, hit-to-lead and lead optimization projects
- Help identify and validate new targets, which may include collaborative engagement with the external scientific community
- Establish a substantial external scientific presence including authoring significant scientific publications and presentations
To accomplish the above, the successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills in addition to rigorous scientific thinking and a proven track record of driving the advancement of drug discovery programs.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- M.S. in Chemistry with a minimum of (5) years of Industry experience in Drug Discovery
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with 0-4 years of industry
experience in drug discovery
- Experience in Methodology/Catalysis, Total Synthesis, Chemical Biology, or Physical Organic Chemistry is required, along with a proven track record of solving complex problems.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Research Science
Job Title:Senior Scientist, Chemistry
Primary Location: NA-US-CA-South San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Scientific, Scientist, Chemical Research, Science, Engineering