ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Function independently as a study director in the direction and execution of assigned studies in compliance with GLP regulations as they apply to the conduct of nonclinical research.
- Participate in the proposal management and bid development process, serving as a key scientific contact for new business generated from established business relationships.
- Participate in and coordinate all phases of the study planning process with appropriate departments.
- Design preclinical studies, generate high-quality protocols, amendments, reports, and develop appropriate changes to study design for assigned projects and programs.
- Review, interpret, integrate, and present data on assigned studies.
- Function independently as contact for the planning and execution of sponsor interaction related to assigned studies, including proposal management and study scheduling, conduct and reporting.
- Provide oversight of the laboratory and mentor technical staff in areas such as protocol interpretation, method development and refinement, study-related problem resolution, and technique validation. Provide scientific expertise in study conduct, design, and interpretation.
- Review reports for peers.
- Provide technical and scientific guidance to the research staff.
- Attend scientific meetings, conferences, and training courses to enhance job and professional skills. Present abstracts/posters at national meetings, when appropriate, to maintain a scientific presence and visibility in areas of individual expertise.
- May supervise research and/or scientific staff, as appropriate for scope of responsibilities.
- May direct activities of assigned group(s) to ensure effective performance of function.
- Interview and select qualified exempt-level departmental personnel. Recommend, review, and approve personnel actions, including hiring, promotions and raises. Partner with Human Resources in the handling of disciplinary issues. Prepare and/or approve appropriate personnel action paperwork.
- Monitor performance of direct reports. Provide regular coaching and counseling. Prepare and deliver salary and performance reviews; review and approve performance and salary appraisals initiated by direct reports.
- Ensure optimum performance of group function. Recommend and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, take advantage of opportunities, and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Perform testing facility management duties for the site as delegated by PCS senior management.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's degree (B.S./B.A.) or equivalent in a scientific related discipline. Related Master's degree (M.S./M.A.) or PhD/DVM preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of 9 to 12 years related experience in the contract research, academic, or pharmaceutical industry.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: Certification as appropriate for specialty preferred.
- Other: Full understanding of regulatory requirements of study types assigned, as well as Testing Facility SOPs and the Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), as appropriate. Knowledge of applicable international guidelines for all types of studies. Demonstrate leadership skills as they pertain to intra- and interdepartmental initiatives, Sponsor interactions, and business development. Effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize work and meet deadlines. Proficiency in the use of standard software including Microsoft® Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc. and with standard laboratory calculations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet